Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDCP issues with PowerDVD  (Read 4692 times)

vidART

Topic Starter

Rookie

HDCP issues with PowerDVD
    « on: May 15, 2012, 05:46:20 AM »
    Irritation factor: 10.0 --my experience factor: 1.0, novice, but tech savvy--> I have a Dell XPS 16 laptop running Vista 64-bit, with Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.3.1.7501 [BD Live Version with TrueTheater]  I can no longer play Blu-rays on my laptop. I don't own very many, recent issues are rentals - which may be part of the problem? Dell, per usual, is useless. I purposely bought the system I did --with the Blu-ray DVD drive so I could watch any media (incl blu rays) at home and on the road. I first experienced trouble when we bought a flat screen HD tv over the holidays and tried to hook up the laptop with an HDMI cord. Now no blu-rays will play at all (regular dvds work fine) In truth I hadnt been very interested in the Blu-ray part til we got our new TV. I thought prob may be the HDMI cord being connected at first (we watch Netflix- no prob) but disconnected HDMI & recently rented blu-rays are no go. I am really angry at the apparent obsolescence built-in to this item I paid a pretty penny to add on to my laptop at purchase. In my on-line research I came across a comment regarding "updating your video hardware drivers" but this follows comments that updates of PowerDVD can cause this! (and I just updated!) My laptop does auto updates, but not sure about the DVD/bluray drive. This is my third time sitting down to try & resolve this, and all I seem to find are --"the industry sucks" type commentary--Help!! I need some direction here.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HDCP issues with PowerDVD
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:51:24 AM »
    I'm finding it difficult to separate what the problem is from the rest of your post. Can you just explain the exact problem, what led up to it, and EXACTLY what happens when you try to play a blu ray dvd? Did it ever work? If so, other than the flat screen tv, what is new since it last worked and the first time it didn't.

As Jack Webb would say - just the facts please.
    « Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:16:32 AM by Allan »

vidART

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: HDCP issues with PowerDVD
      « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
      Blu-rays played, now they don't. Loads, Menu scene appears but all controls are greyed out. Suspected: use of HDMI cord triggered HDCP issue. Update: ran Cyberlinks BD adviser, graphic card and driver ARE compatible. Regular blu-rays should play.