Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggest a Brand of Wired Router.  (Read 2147 times)

winniethepujols

Suggest a Brand of Wired Router.
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »
You may (or may not) remember the topic I made a month or so ago. I was venting my frustration with my LAN continually "crapping out." I've determined that the peer to peer program I was using was not the problem, based on the following: there's a program I use called "GameSpy Arcade." It's used to gather servers from a game I play online called "Battlefield 2." When I do a global server update, it checks the status of over 1,000 servers...returning the settings of that server, along with the ping between it and my computer.

If I re-update the server list, my LAN crashes, almost every time. I'm convinced that my Belkin router, a few years old now, just is flat-out not capable of handling three computers on a network.

I'm going to buy a new router and see if this fixes the problem. What brand would you recommend? How is DLink? Anyone have personal experience with them? There's a DLink router at a local pawn shopping selling for $20 that I'd like to pick up; I'm familiar with them, as I used them in school and we seemed to have success...

This is really frustrating me. I think I'll try out that DLink, barring someone has a better suggestion?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 07:18:45 PM by winniethepujols »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Suggest a Brand of Wired Router.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 07:38:10 PM »
I suggest Netgear. They have some of the best routers available. If not Netgear, I would say Linksys.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

Re: Suggest a Brand of Wired Router.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:30:34 AM »
Have you tried to completely rebuild your network first.

Make use of the DHCP server function on your router (Or assign fixed IP adresses), reinstall NIC drivers, update Router firmware, etc, etc.