Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PXE Error = BIOS/CMOS Setup access is not happening  (Read 5437 times)

Puter Moron

Topic Starter

Beginner

PXE Error = BIOS/CMOS Setup access is not happening
    « on: May 30, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
    I have an issue with trying to access the BIOS/CMOS setup.  When the laptop boots up it gives me the PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable along with the PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM.  I have tried booting several times and pressing the F12 key which is for the Boot Manager with no success.  It just goes right into the PXE error again.  I have also tried pressing the F2 key (Setup Utility) and get the same results...PXE error.  I am unable to check the boot order & CMOS setup.  I have powered down the laptop, removed the battery and removed and reseated the HDD making sure it is seated all the way.  It still gets me the PXE error. 

When I get the PXE error I have to press the escape key to get it to stop beeping and exit out of the PXE error.  Then it brings me to a menu asking if i want to start Windows normally.  When I do so the laptop loads the desktop.  I have found that some of the keys on the keyboard are not working.  The keyboard cable is firmly attached.  I am not sure if the keyboard thing is part of the problem, THE problem or a result of some other problem.

The big thing I guess is being able to get to the BIOS/CMOS setups. 

Your help/input is very much appreciated!

The Laptop info is as follows:

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Service  Pack 2
    Manufacturer:   Toshiba
    Model:   Satelite A305
    Processor:   Intel Core2 Duo CPU   T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Memory:   4 GB
    System Type:   64 bit

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PXE Error = BIOS/CMOS Setup access is not happening
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
    You are the original owner - Right? How ole is it?

After everything else, this error would men the hard drive or its controller has gone bad. Often it is the hard drive, either because of rough treatment or overheating.  More often overheating. The hard drive typically does not get enough coiling. Yet most hard drives will take it. They can run  to 85 C and still work.

After all is said, you are at the point of trying a new hard drive. If you have already made regular backups of you system and data, all you need to do is get another drive.

Do not try to format the hard drive. If some of recent data is there, you may wish to get it back.

Do you have a recovery method ready to use?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:14:57 PM »
    I suspect a failing CMOS battery myself...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Puter Moron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
      It is actually my daughters laptop.  We bought it new for her in 2009 for college.  Last fall I had to replace the display monitor because somehow it got cracked.  At that time I had also taken the laptop apart and sprayed all of the dust balls out.  And for Christmas we got her a cooling pad (which doesn't mean she used it) but it was available to her.

I haven't made a backup of the files yet but I do have an external HDD that I use for backups.

She did bring me the recovery discs so that is a big help.

I'll start looking around for a new HDD.

..............Well, I will try the CMOS battery first and if that doesn't work then on to the HDD.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
      The error could have been caused by the CMOS battery.
      However, there is more involved with the PXE error.
      Please come back after you change the CMOS battery.

If it is the Intel PXE, this may offer some insight.
      Intel® Boot Agent
      It may be trying to boot from a USB device.
      EDIT:  Disk less workstation with PXE will boot from network . If it can. This happens when the hard drive is not ready to boot or has an invalid boot loader. The drive maybe repairable with revery console with fixboot and fixmbr.

Puter Moron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
        I tried searching the net to see if I could find the cmos RTC battery.  Got a bunch of hits for the Lithium battery for running the laptop without the AC but nothing of what was needed.

I had gone to the Toshiba site and did not find anything there for the RTC so I posted in their forum.  There, one of their "Super Advisors" had directed me to the National Parts Depot so I gave them a call. 

I gave NPD the model & serial numbers for the laptop and they said that the cmos RTC was considered part of the Motherboard and they did not have the individual RTC.  They suggested that I check with Toshiba Direct.

Toshiba Direct did not have the individual RTC either and suggested I contact Spare Parts Warehouse.

SPW said that the RTC was part of the Motherboard and asked if I would be purchasing a new Motherboard ($317) or a refurbished Motherboard ($222).  I thanked them for their time and hung up.

It appears the cmos RTC is not going to happen.  Over $200 for a nickel sized RTC battery is a little much.  I am willing to try a few lesser expensive suggestions first and if they are a bust as well then I'll put $317 towards a new laptop.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »
        Well, let's go on. Maybe the cell is OK.
        Here is a picture of the insides. Is the battery soldered on?
        http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/CMOS-battery-needs-replaced-Satellite-A305-S6872/td-p/175902

See if you can get the laptop to boot any kind of rotatable CD or DVD.

Puter Moron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
          The battery is definitely soldered on.  It has no markings on it either.

I have tried using booting my Western Digital Data Life Guard Diagnostic disc (this laptop has a Western Digital HDD) and my Seagate Seatools Diagnostic disc (both of which I have used successfully in the past) and the laptop would not boot to either one.  The laptop went right to the PXE error for both.

I am not sure what the boot order is as I am unable to access it.

Puter Moron

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:23 PM »
            Is there anything more we can try or am I out of luck?