Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse and Keyboard suddenly freeze  (Read 3964 times)

guo9810

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Mouse and Keyboard suddenly freeze
    « on: June 05, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
    Ok so, suddenly, my computer is being very annoying.

Sometimes, the mouse freezes for a few seconds, then it makes a dong sound in like 5 - 10 seconds, and it works again. During the course of those seconds, the keyboard is working.

Sometimes though, both the mouse and keyboard just suddenly stop working, but everything continues. I still hear sound, but even after 5 or 10 minutes, it is still frozen. At that point, I have to hold down the power button on my computer, and restart it.

When it finally comes back on, it takes like 3 - 5 minutes, where all of the processes in the task manager are at 0% with 0 CPU. The list of processes is also really short. After the 3-5 minutes, everything starts working at once.

Then it eventually will freeze again. Sometimes it takes about 5 - 10 minutes, sometimes 5 - 10 hours.

I have Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

I was informed this was something wrong with the motherboard, but I am not sure

This also will never happen when I am not touching the computer, even if it is using RAM intensive processes.

SPECS:

Brand: Dell

Model: Vostro 460

Stuff:

Intel Core i5 2500
    Dell Inc. 0Y2MRG (Motherboard)
    Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Any way to solve this? Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mouse and Keyboard suddenly freeze
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

You know how to burn an ISO to a CD and boot your PC from the CD. - Right?

Download any of the CD ISO that have some basic diagnostics for PCs. Or, if you have a recent Ubuntu Linux, boot it in the live mode and run the memory test.

When you boot any 'Live' CD, the Windows  system is not used and you can test the hardware with an independent Operating System. This helps determine if the problems is really Windows or the hardware.

One popular tool:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

guo9810

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Mouse and Keyboard suddenly freeze
      « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »
      I will try that, thanks.  I'll just try a random one, and I'll see if I can use an ISO mounter