Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re: A network cable is unplugged  (Read 3474 times)

williamjacobs

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: A network cable is unplugged
    « on: June 06, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
    Ran into this problem myself, but the "unplugged" message would alternate with the exclamation point error saying there was "Limited or no connectivity"

Maybe my solution can help others:

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking (press f8 key after reboot and select "Safe Mode with Networking" from the menu that results)
    Does it work there?

If so, go to START > Run
    Enter "msconfig"
    Click "Services" tab.
    Check off the "Hide all Microsoft Services" check box to check it off.
    Disable all the non-MS services and reboot into Normal boot mode to see if the networking issue goes away
    If it does, re-enable the services a few at a time until you find the culprit and either leave it disabled or find a fix if one is available (an update or patch?)

In my case, "Broadcom ASF IP Monitor" service was killing the Broadcom 57xx Integrated Gigabit Ethernet on the desktop I was working on.

The OP is likely long gone, but I ran into this in 2012, so necroposting might be forgiven?  I Googled this pretty thoroughly and no one mentioned rogue services that can mimic a bad cable/hardware.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Is this a question? If you suspect any rogue software, you need to look at the help on the CH virus and spyware section.
    Or look at this:
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/spyware.htm

immental1200

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Is this a question? If you suspect any rogue software, you need to look at the help on the CH virus and spyware section.
    Or look at this:
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/spyware.htm

He's posted advice for a user running into the same problem, not a problem of his own :)