Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Critical Update wrecked my Wired Network Adaptors  (Read 4315 times)

FingPOS-PC

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Critical Update wrecked my Wired Network Adaptors
    « on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
    I'm not a techie or even close.

Naturally, just as the other times my PC became useless--tax time, times when online term paper overdue and FINALLY got a day off to study/finsh, like today--and other similarly glorious times, my PC is useless again.

I spent all last weekend and the one before fixing SOMEthing and having to reinstall my OS last weekend after a geek wrecked my PC trying to install AV software for me (when I asked to do it myself) by remote! Of course I had to install the software myself after all, after first saving that PC.

And now, a "critical update" overnight by windows killed my access to the Net from my laptop, and the error message is  what other sites say is a corrupted driver for my Realtek Network Driver(s).

I can't use this PC I'm connected to the Net with for studying, for medical reasons. If I can't get back on with my laptop, I'm in serious trouble.

I went to Dell, downloaded all onto a disc for my 1564 Inspiron Windows 7 64 bit EXACTLY as instructed, and it seemed to go okay, but the "Download Manager" that comes with it is all that shows up on the disc. I can't see any others (actual driver) files.

I tried doing the zipped and unzipped, and when I put them in my laptop disc drive, it hums and then informs me the install has failed. I saved the message, which is about dll.serve or something not being found.

I have had 3 weekends like this and am thus 3-4 weeks behind in school and don't know whether to puke, cry, or go postal. I am over the edge with this.

Please tell me what if anything I can do that isn't 16 hazardous steps.

FingPOS-PC

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Windows Critical Update wrecked my Wired Network Adaptors
      « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
      by dowloaded all, I mean I used my key to identify the drivers factory-installed and any updates since then for chipsets, and Network adapters, and with the list you select comes a "DellDriverDownload Manager", which is zipped unless you choose for it not to be. Since I tried zipped and nothing happened, I did over using unzipped, since it's not a self-unzipping, I guess, and doesn't get unzipped for you. Which may be why I can't see any dirver files separately, using the laptop or this PC to view what's on the disc.

With either of them, nothing happened.

Since I got the laptop, it has been telling me I need Microsoft Net Framework Version 2.0, but when I go to the site (several times, to be sure)  and look to manually update, the diagnostics say I'm already updated--since the day I got the effing machine!

The Dell Drivers download site does say you need to have a particular add-on for Mozilla to download the drivers, so I added it onto this PC to download them onto the disc....looked very old add-on, but my PC said I did not have that file.

Just extra details in the thin hope I can be helped.