Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Tempory freeze  (Read 5989 times)

Mark Ashcroft

Windows Tempory freeze
« on: September 24, 2005, 09:27:12 AM »
Hi everyone, new to this so bare with me.
My pc is:  P4 3.2 socket 478, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9800xt Graphics card, ABit IC-7 MBoard, Linksys WRT54G Router, Plextor DVD writer and Plextor DVD reader, WIN XP SP2

My computer just randomly pauses for about 5 seconds. Very strange, it happens anytime, no matter what programs are running or not. It can happen with just the destop loaded. I have Zone alarm, AVG installed and use anti-spyware software all the time.  The pauses effect everything but don't cut connections or effect the computer in any way after it un-pauses, its as if nothing happened.  One thing I have noticed is that the optical drives startup as if you put a disc in, but they don't autorun.  I've tried using the event viewer but it doesn't list anything at the times that this problem occurs.  I also tryed re-installing XP but shortly after I got the pc upto date with windows update, drivers, Java for Opera, .Net, anti-virus and firewall, it starts happening again.  I know its a tough one but I'm baffled and I would appretiate any ideas that might help.  Finding out exactly whats happening on the pc would be great.

Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: Windows Tempory freeze
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 09:37:54 AM »
Background processes, spyware/adware, corrupted files come to mind.

Mark Ashcroft

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
Thanks, I've tried disabling stuff in msconfig and in XP services and spybot and ad aware don't come up with anything.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 11:30:21 AM »
Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

Or search the million of topics with the words freeze and stall in them. You obviously didn't.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 01:07:05 PM »
When you re-installed XP was it with an XP SP2 CD or did you add SP2?

Have you tried re-seating the RAM modules, and what sort of IDE cables are fitted?

Mark Ashcroft

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »
Sorry, but couldn't find an answer when I searched, they all dealt with crashes, which this aint, rather annoyingly.

SP2 is a seperate cd, not tried ram re-seating, but will and they are the double cored/extra wire thingys on the ide cables.

Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 03:54:17 PM »
Did you reformat before reinstalling?

Are you using default Windows or Windows downdate drivers for any of your hardware?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 03:54:53 PM by Raptor »

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:34:45 PM »
Sorry, but couldn't find an answer when I searched, they all dealt with crashes, which this aint, rather annoyingly.

SP2 is a separate CD, not tried RAM re-seating, but will, and they are the double cored 80 wire IDE cables.

Those cables should not be longer than 12" (Recommended)

It is better to install with a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD if you can. Where an OEM install is involved some OEM CDs can be slipstreamed but if not apply the SP2 CD immediately after restoring to OEM as bought condition and then update your AV and run a full scan before updating the OS.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 04:36:55 PM »
Try sherlock holmes friend>http://www.computerhope.com/software/drwatson.htm

type dxdiag in the run box ......what does it report.....

is this pc networked?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 12:57:39 AM »
    Do them for me & come back with the results.  :)

Free online virus scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm
    Free online spyware scan
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/spyxposer/com/spyxposer_principal.htm

Mark Ashcroft

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 04:19:57 PM »
    Thanks for your input guys. All the scans come up with nothing. Dr watson never reported any faults. I'm trying removing stuff and seeing what happens. The weird thing is, its like time stops for 5 seconds. My pc knows nothing about it, it behaves exactly as normal after. Anyway I'll plod on till I find an answer.

Mark Ashcroft

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
    btw, my xp cd is a full xp pro(couple of years old) and I have a seperate cd for SP2.  When I get the time, if I haven't sorted it by then, I'll follow your instructions for installing XP.  Also my ide cables are ony about 10" long, came with MB.

My drivers are all from relavent companies websites and I did a complete re-partition and format before install.

I have had 2½ hours without it happening, so fingers crossed. Don't want to get my hopes up too high  :)

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 12:53:27 AM »
      So are you aware of anything you have done to fix it?
      Strange that it would fix itself.  ???

Mac

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 02:36:24 AM »
      btw, my xp cd is a full xp pro(couple of years old) and I have a seperate cd for SP2.  When I get the time, if I haven't sorted it by then, I'll follow your instructions for installing XP.  Also my ide cables are ony about 10" long, came with MB.

My drivers are all from relavent companies websites and I did a complete re-partition and format before install.

I have had 2½ hours without it happening, so fingers crossed. Don't want to get my hopes up too high  :)

You should slipstream your XP Pro CD with SP2 before you do a clean install and burn yourself an XP SP2 CD so that you have an XP SP2 CD to use when you need to run sfc.

My original OEM IDE cable is only 10" long too. But the 80 wire ones are definitely better. I see that most of the ones which are available are 18" in length. ???

Mark Ashcroft

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 02:42:52 PM »
      Nope still got the problem, its just not happening so often.  >:( >:(

Yeah I got 80 core ide cables, but jesus, not 18" long.  :)
      And what is slipstreaming windows?  ??? Do I have to buy a new xp disc (which I'm not going to do  :) )?