Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asio4all. FL studio problems in vista  (Read 5911 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Asio4all. FL studio problems in vista
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
Hello to all.

So, if anyone saw my other posts. i am running a music studio type deal in windows vista on a laptop.

I have FL Studio Producer edition installed, and also have the Asio4all v2.10 driver for sound. The Asio4all does not have a specific driver for the dell inspiron 1526 model that i have, so i am using the generic.

Well, in FL studio, i try to record some guitar and/or lyrics into the timeline of the song, but asio 4 all only recognizes my internal microphone on the computer (which i found odd, considering i did not think it would have a internal microphone as it does not have a webcam)
I know this is the internal, because a slight tap on the actual laptop gets a large sound to show up on my input sound meter.

it also recognizes a feed from the microphone jack, but i get the actual FL song into the recording unintentionally, like you will be able to hear the drums, bass, lead, ext in the recorded mix. this makes me feel like it is messing up somewhere. It is not using the internal microphone, but it has the mix combined in the recording

the asio4all driver lists these devices in my sound

High definition Audio Device
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
--MicIn2
--MuxedIn1
--SpdfOut
--Speaker/HP

also, when i have any microphone configuration, i get a sort of feedback when i use the speakers instead of headphones, Im guessing this is FL trying to create a listen to your mic input, but this is annoying, and besides the fact, im not using a mic to input sound, im using a guitar into a mixer to the computer. So i am completely confused.

I have gone through the computer as well and disabled all the services i do not need, so that has been taken out of the way, if that was a problem. I just want to know how to get some acoustic recordings into FL.

If this cant be fixed, i suppose i could use Audacity to record, then use the guitar from that as a sample, but that would be a large hassle.

If anyone knows what is going on, let me know, thanks
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Asio4all. FL studio problems in vista
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
All i can contribute is my buddy does a ton of sound mixing with some of the best apps available and FLstudio didn't last a day on his system...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:09 PM »
Well, in FL studio, i try to record some guitar and/or lyrics into the timeline of the song, but asio 4 all only recognizes my internal microphone on the computer (which i found odd, considering i did not think it would have a internal microphone as it does not have a webcam)
I know this is the internal, because a slight tap on the actual laptop gets a large sound to show up on my input sound meter.
it also recognizes a feed from the microphone jack, but i get the actual FL song into the recording unintentionally, like you will be able to hear the drums, bass, lead, ext in the recorded mix.
All my laptops have a microphone input; it's a small hole, usually in the top-center of the screen. Best I can guess given what you've said is that you are getting basic feedback; that is, while you are recording you are playing out the speakers, which not surprisingly get's picked up by the microphone.

The best way to combat this is to use headphones.

also, when i have any microphone configuration, i get a sort of feedback when i use the speakers instead of headphones, Im guessing this is FL trying to create a listen to your mic input, but this is annoying, and besides the fact, im not using a mic to input sound, im using a guitar into a mixer to the computer. So i am completely confused.
"into a mixer to the computer" makes no sense to me. Most sound devices have at least a sound output (obviously) a microphone, and possibly a few line inputs and outputs. None of these perform mixing; mixing is done on the software side by combining those inputs.

I'll point out that most integrated sound circuitry, while OK for basic tasks, sucks terribly for this sort of purpose. Usually the drivers are not at all tested for this scenario which may very well be why you aren't able to get it working.

Instead of trying to use FLStudio for that, you can use another program. Personally I would play the sound through FL studio while simultaneously recording as needed using a program like audacity; then import the resulting recording into FL Studio. This achieves the exact same thing FLStudio would anyway, but also gives you the Acapella as a separate recording, so you can perform things like noise removal before importing it into the FLStudio project.

Personally, I haven't used ASIO4ALL; I have it installed but that's because it seems to come with FLStudio. It doesn't actually get used unless I swap over to the integrated sound circuitry (at which point I get that fun little system tray notification thing). You might want to read through the ASIO4ALL documentation. I can say that the times I've stumbled upon using ASIO4ALL I quickly backed out and switched back to my dedicated sound card drivers...

-
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
by mixer, i ment a phisical 16 channel mixer from my studio. not something with the computer.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.