Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer sometimes gets stuck at the compaq logo  (Read 9533 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Computer sometimes gets stuck at the compaq logo
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi,

Hopefully the correct board to post in, my sr1630nx pc which I have upgraded to windows vista and added more memory to sometimes gets stuck at the red compaq logo startup screen.

It has just started out of the blue and when my pc loads to windows, it is fine, but when it gets stuck at the logo, it's stuck for a while and I can't do anything but restart pc and hope it gets past it.

I have reset the cmos/bios by removing the cmos battery from motherboard already.

What is wrong now?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Computer sometimes gets stuck at the compaq logo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
It's almost certainly not a Windows issue since the problem occurs prior to Windows starting to load. Did this start happening right after you added the ram?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:38:22 PM by Allan »

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
No, it did not. PC had been working fine yesterday and had been for a long time. This morning, I booted to computer normally and noticed said problem. Did not do anything special.

I did all the ram/OS upgrades a long time ago, before sp1 was even out for vista. I do have sp2 on my pc currently. When pc gets to windows, it is fine. Otherwise it's seems to be a problem.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
Okay. Since I don't have a Compaq I just want to confirm that the system locks before the Windows Welcome Screen - correct?

Going on that assumption let's check both the hd and ram first.

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

Let's see where we are after those two tests.

Also, please look in device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols? I'm guessing not, but let's make sure.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
thanks for the help Allan, I'll be going to do your tests. I've been on CH, posting with the same exact pc and specs for the longest time and this is the first time I've ever encountered such a problem and yes, there are no yellow or red symbols in device manager. :P

I see on memtest there are the autoinstaller for usb key, can I use that or must I use the pre-compiled bootable ISO?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
Whatever is easiest for you is fine.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Hi Allan,

it seems that both memtest and the chkdsk both say that everything is running fine.  I thought something might have been unseated by accident, but i did manage to get windows to load after a few re-boots which suggest everything still in place.

this is getting a bit frustrating, if only I could find out what's wrong!! I can't just be retrying the boot hoping that one boot will work. 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
I'm having a similar intermittent problem with one of mine.
Study this sequence;  http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/pc/pcboot.html
Is it getting to Step 6?  Mine will turn off & on 0-4 times prior to the POST (Step 6).  No beeps at all.
Once it gets through the POST & the single beep, all is normal.

1.  Could be your PSU (Step 1).
2.  Could be any other piece of hardware, i.e. optical drive, card reader (Step 4).

Since it doesn't do it all the time, it's really hard to find.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »
I'm afraid I have to agree with the above post. As I said earlier, it's almost certainly a hardware problem, and the fact that it's intermittent makes it very difficult to diagnose. I would not rule out the PSU.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
ok thanks Allen. Right now, I am typing this message on the same computer that was encountering said issue. But it seems to be happy now that it's in windows already.

I sure don't know why it got stuck at the compaq logo now and then and it does sound like hardware might be the cue.

But intermittent issues without a way to consistently duplicate the problem makes it hard but I'll see what I can do... unless you got better ideas ....

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Well, one thing you can do is not shut it off at night. My personal preference is to shut down my systems daily, but I know many - MANY - knowledgeable systems folks who rarely shutdown.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
See if it will go to Standby.  I sometimes have the same problem coming out of Standby & it actually takes longer than a cold boot, but won't turn off when attempting to resume.  The same components (except for cpu & mobo) were working with a different motherboard, so I suspect the mobo.  May end of replacing with a compatible motherboard so I can use the CPU & RAM.

These guys have a large variety of motherboards:  http://www.serversupply.com/
You have to do a lot of homework to find the right replacement for you but the prices are very good.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »
Ok, I took out all the stuff -- the graphics card, and the memory and whatnot, and gave my computer a complete clean out. Then I put everything back in carefully.

Seems like the problem's gone away, but I'll just monitor it a day or two just to be certain. Didn't think that would have created such problem if this was the root cause  :P

urban3rd

Greenhorn
  • Whats a CPu?
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »
    I am glad that you actually did a complete clean out, I was gonna suggest that. I did that to my brothers while he was at work :P and it was working fine.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
    « Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
    problem seemed to be gone for few days straight. Now it came back this morning.

Any more ideas? I've used the CH recommended HOTCPU program and tortured my computer for 6 hrs straight and not a problem found by said program.   Also used a program to do surface scan check of hard drive and not a problem discovered either!!!

When it does get to windows, system seems stable!!! :o