Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Aero...?  (Read 6650 times)

sherry!

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Aero...?
    « on: June 09, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »
    Hope I posted this under the right topic : I got a messsage about my pc being slow ; something about windows Aero & changing the color scheme, I think. The message disappeared before I got to read it again. Ok, my pc is slow sometimes, but it's dial-up !
    Does this have something to do with the backgrounds I have installed ? They are Windows backgrounds.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Windows Aero...?
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
    Dial-up shouldn't affect Windows behavior///however it will make the PC seem slow so perhaps you're equating one with another...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
    I got a messsage about my pc being slow ; something about windows Aero & changing the color scheme, I think. ... Does this have something to do with the backgrounds I have installed ? They are Windows backgrounds.
    Yes, it's a sign your computer is not quite capable of constantly running Aero.  You can try changing backgrounds but it might not help since you are using Windows backgrounds, which are probably generally not as tasking as third-party backgrounds downloaded to your computer. So, you might need to keep Aero disabled.

I suspect you'll need to upgrade the graphics part of your system.  Adding RAM might also help. 

If you tell us more about your computer (make, model, hardware specs), the picture here may become clearer.

sherry!

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
      I have windows 7 Home Premium
      64 Bit
      RAM : 2.00GB
      I had thought third-party backgounds could carry 'bugs' with it. How would I choose 'safe' ones ?
      As for upgrading graphics, please explain ?

Derpy Hooves

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
        Windows Aero is the default Windows user interface in Vista and 7. Sometimes you'll get that notice if you have some of your Aero settings too high (Or if Windows thinks you have it too high) and will slow down your computer, because you computer has to "draw" a lot more special effects than the Windows Standard or Windows Classic user interface.
        As for running slow, there is a difference between your dial up connection, and your computer's processing power. Your dial up connection connects you to the internet, where the speeds you will notice will be how fast a webpage loads, how fast images load, ect ect. Even though your computer's processing power has a say on how fast those pages can load, your dial up connection will dictate most of it. Things where your dial up connection generally doesn't have a say in something (I.E: Browsing files on your computer) will be much faster than browsing the web, because dial up is very slow, but your computer isn't that slow.

AS FOR WINDOWS AERO.
        Sorry, kinda lost track there for a bit.  If you do think that your computer is slow, you can use the Windows Classic or Windows Standard interface design which will free up more resources for your computer to use elsewhere. If you want to change it, go to your task bar and  click the Start button, go to Control Panel, click "Appearance and Personalization", then you can probably change some things there, but also click "Personalization". I would imagine you can figure out the rest ;). If this isn't right, sorry. I have Windows Vista, and it's slightly different in Windows 7.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
        Shouldn't have hiccups with 2 G of RAM...something else is wrong...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
        I had thought third-party backgounds could carry 'bugs' with it
        I got a messsage about my pc being slow
        Please clarify this 3rd party and what application created the slow message? What computer model is this computer?

Derpy Hooves

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
          what application created the slow message?

99.99% sure it's just a generic Windows notice message. I've gotten it before, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the exact same thing this person got.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »

The Message is triggered when VRAM starts to run low.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

sherry!

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
            I've read all your answers, & will go from there regarding Windows backgrounds, etc. Thanks !  :)