Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card stuck in 4x in new Ivy Bridge build  (Read 3504 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Graphics card stuck in 4x in new Ivy Bridge build
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
Hi,

As the title states, my new Ivy Bridge build has my HD 4870 stuck in 4x instead of 16x.
<-- Specs are on the side there

I have tried rebuilding the system from ground up
Updating the BIOS of the motherboard
Have not tried updating the graphics card BIOS (Nor do I really want to do this)

The BIOS states it at 4x and has done so since day 1, so I am guessing it is a BIOS issue not a software issue?

Kurtis

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Graphics card stuck in 4x in new Ivy Bridge build
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
Call me crazy, but try moving the Creative sound card to the other PCI express slot (according to the diagram of that board, there should be two x4 slots that that card will fit into).

Or try moving the video card to the other PCI express x16 slot.

I've also heard of this happening when the card isn't making really good contact (interference from dirt or dust). Check the contacts on the card and the slots. Blow out the slots with some compressed air.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Graphics card stuck in 4x in new Ivy Bridge build
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
Okay, with the X-Fi removed - no difference (I can't get the card into the second slot because it is covered by my cooler) Will try the card in the other slot this afternoon :) Though it is in the blue slot which is 16x and the black slot is 4x only. I cleaned the card contacts when I rebuilt it but not the slot. hmm