Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PS,fans, ect come on but no display?  (Read 16774 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: PS,fans, ect come on but no display?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
I couldn't find a DX4300-15e board so I bought this DX4300-03 motherboard (AM2+ socket) (was delivered today via FedEx overnight) and this Phenom X4 9750 processor (AM2+ socket) (will be here Monday).
The main difference I can see is .2 GHz faster frequency, 2MB more L2 Cache per processor and support for DDR3 memory with the DX4300-15e/Phenom XII 810. The DDR3 support is no advantage for me since I use 4 / 2GB modules of DDR2 memory which I want to keep using (saving much $).
 The DX4300-15e board uses integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics and the DX4300-03 board uses integrated ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics. These are both comparable and high performance graphics is not a big concern of mine on this machine anyway.

Now, what have I missed or made another mistake on? And what issues might I run into when swapping this board and processor into the machine?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
I read your posts very quickly, but if your new motherboard is DDR3, & your old RAM is DDR2, they won't even fit into the slots.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:57 PM »
Sorry. I should have been more clear. I was reffering to the processor itself. About the memory bandwidth of the Phenom II X4 being capable of supporting both DDR2 and DDR3.
I don't remember where I read it originally but here is a quote about the Phenom II X4 955 from this page at the bottom under the 'Overview' tab.

Integrated DDR2 and DDR3 DRAM Memory Controller
The AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core processor is integrated with DDR2 and DDR3 DRAM memory controller capable of supporting registered and ECC DRAM. The integrated memory controller changes the way the processor accesses main memory, resulting in increased bandwidth, reduced memory latencies, and enhanced processor performance.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
An AMD socket question:

The case on my machine says it is a model#DX4300-15e / Phenom II X4 810 processor.
The actual processor is labled:
Phenom II
HDX810WFK4FGI
CACYC AC 0948FPMW
9C23788L90298
AMD 2008

The Phenom II x4 810 specs on AMD's spec page says it is "Socket AM3".

The Motherboard in my machine that I just removed the Phenom II X4 810 CPU from has AM2 stamped on the processor socket.
Here are the #'s on the motherboard in this machine:
U011094704110
PC RS780M03G1-8EKSMH

The motherboard I just bought is supposed to be for a Gateway DX4300-03 machine with a Phenom X4 9750 processor (Socket AM2+).
Here are the #'s on the new motherboard:
U011092403886
PC RS780M03G1-8EKSMH
Specs for the DX4300-03 / Phenom X4 9750 are here according to Newegg (can't find any spec information on the Gateway support site)
and
Specs for the Phenom X4 9750 (Socket AM2+) on AMD's spec page are here.

My question:
Is the Phenom X4 9750 (Socket AM2+) CPU I have ordered going to work in the new 'socket AM2' motherboard?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
The motherboard I just bought is supposed to be for a Gateway DX4300-03 machine with a Phenom X4 9750 processor (Socket AM2+).

The DX4300-03 is an AM2+ motherboard. The Phenom X4 9750 is an AM2+ CPU. Gateway themselves made a PC with this combination.

"Gateway DX Series DX4300-03 Desktop PC Phenom X4 9750(2.4GHz)"

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 03:17:02 AM »
The DX4300-03 is an AM2+ motherboard.
I assume you mean 'The DX4300-03 has an AM2+ motherboard'
and it's a Foxconn RS780 board. DX4300-03 is a Gateway model number.
I was just concerned about how I had a Phenom II CPU that all the spec sheets say is an AM3 socket working in my AM2+ motherboard that has AM2 stamped on it.
I found the answer here. I didn't think the different AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket components were physically or operationally interchangeable but they obviously are physically, and operationally to an extent.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 03:51:43 AM »
You assume wrongly. I meant "The DX400-03 motherboard is..." because the part is widely referred to as a "DX400-03 motherboard". It may be identical to a Foxconn model, and it may indeed be marketed under that brand. I thought it was more than a little insolent of you to give me an unwanted and profoundly unnecessary English lesson, considering that I have actually gone to the trouble to (a) answer your post and (b) do some research. Good luck with your PC.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »
I didn't think the different AM2/AM2+/AM3 socket components were physically or operationally interchangeable but they obviously are physically, and operationally to an extent.

There is not complete physical compatibility.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CPU-6-socket-am2-plus-phenom-ii-compatibility-alert.aspx

"Socket AM2+ Phenom II processors are not compatible with AM3 motherboards. Forced installation can cause damage not covered by AMD warranty

Last Updated
4/10/2009   
Article Number
CPU-6

Please note that Socket AM2+ Phenom II processors cannot be used on socket  AM3 motherboards. The socket itself is different and forcing installation of these processors on Socket AM3 motherboards will cause irreversible damage to the processor, and possibly the socket on your motherboard.

Although Socket AM3 processors can be used on Socket AM2+ motherboards, the opposite is not possible.  This type of damage is not covered under warranty.

Please refer to the  Processor In a Box 3 year limited warranty, which states, in part: “This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.”  See Three (3) Year Processor In A Box Limited Warranty for complete warranty information."

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
I thought it was more than a little insolent of you to give me an unwanted and profoundly unnecessary English lesson, considering that I have actually gone to the trouble to (a) answer your post and (b) do some research. Good luck with your PC.
I certainly apologize. When I re-read it the post does completely lack any mention of my appreciation for your time and help.
So, Thank You for your help Salmon Trout!

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 12:17:29 AM »
Although Socket AM3 processors can be used on Socket AM2+ motherboards,
Thanks for that information. This is my case according to the CPU specs on AMD's site and the physical AM2 stamp on my motherboard.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
I have the new motherboard installed with the old processor and it runs fine other than it stalls intermittantly during when the Windows 7 operating system is loading. To clarify: It may boot completely once or twice or 3 times and everything works fine but then, when started or restarted it will stall about 10 seconds into the loading sequence after the Windows logo appears on the screen. It seems to stall at the same point every time. At this point the CPU activity indicator light ceases to show any activity. I've tried different BIOS settings for everything that looks to me to be boot related, ran System Restore, ran Windows startup repair utility (which looks to me to be nothing more than System Restore?), scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes (both show no threats detected). Does this sound like a software, BIOS, registry, OS, hardware issue or what? Should I try installing the new Phenom X4 9750 CPU first?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
...the CPU activity indicator light ceases to show any activity...
Never seen one of those.  Maybe you mean hard drive activity indicator light?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
Sorry. I guess that's what I mean then. Thanks for correcting me. Does this mean my stalling problem is an issue with my hard drive, or something on it?