Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lag during specific video games  (Read 4779 times)

TheBiggestNoob

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Lag during specific video games
    « on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
    Hi,
    I use my Sager laptop to play games.It has Nvidia 540M graphics card.My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.

When I play games like "Need For Speed:Hot Pursuit" and "Call of Duty:Black Ops"(single player,missions) I do not have any problem with lag at all.The gameplay is smooth.
    When I play a first person shooter game called "Medal of Honor:Allied Assault" multiplayer against other people online, I get a terrible ping spikes.Whenever there are more than 20 people in server my computer starts lagging(up to 600ms),whenever there are fewer than 20 people my ping is fine (constant 60ms).

When I play the same Medal of Honor game in the same server on my desktop computer(Nvidia GTS 450), my ping is always low(50ms constant) so the problem is not my Comcast home internet or the game server that i connect to.
    I tried connecting my laptop wirelessly AND wired but I get a lag no matter what.

What do you think causes this problem on my laptop and how can I stop getting lag whenever there are more than 20 people online ? I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lag during specific video games
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
    So 19 people playing or less and no lag and 20+ and always lag and ONLY on the Laptop you see this? How much system Ram does laptop have, maybe the 20th person to keep track of x,y,z coordinates is at your laptops memory limit. Do you run desktop gadget on windows 7? I use CPU/Ram meter on mine with a timeline so that if I have weirdness I can hit windows key and look at timeline of Ram and CPU usage to see if it was at 100% etc. Most laptops these days share system Ram with video GPU needs, so you might be running at 100% and lag is your system then failing to stay in synch with the serverside clockwork of the game.

I know that my Toshiba Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz and GeForce 7300 running XP on 1.5GB Ram to play World of Warcraft lags out when I get into populated areas with lots of people, yet my desktop tower computer a Athlon II x4 2.6GHz quadcore with ATI Radeon 5450 HD 1GB DDR3 Video Card, and 3GB DDR2 system Ram just about never lags out in cities that are crowded. My dualcore CPU on my laptop is at 100% and Ram is 90% consumed by the game, and the GeForce 7300 Mobile is breaking a sweat playing the WoW v5.0.5 on lowest video settings. The bandwidth meter in the game also climbs to around 250ms in cities and back to 30-40ms in lesser populated areas. I figure that this is being caused by the delay in my game client to maintain the sync with the server because my laptop is sort of trailing behind in communications since the CPU is running full bore.

Some questions:
    How much Ram?
    What CPU?
    Are you running a desktop gadget to monitor Ram and CPU usage so you can see if its hitting 90+% when running game with 20 people connected etc? ( use windows key to switch back to desktop and keep game running, you will see usage dive when doing this so you will want a timeline type gadget running or you wont see real figures of stats while running )