Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaning cabinet insides  (Read 6917 times)

diff

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cleaning cabinet insides
    « on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
    Hi all, (new here)

Recently there has been some construction work going on at my place and obviously my cabinet has caught quite the cement-y dust it shouldn't have. Although I do know that I should use compressed air cans and avoid static charges. What I would like to reassure and know more is if I need to take some extra care with the genre of dust that there is.

Also, I do not have compressed air cans at the moment and was wondering if I could use my girlfriend's hairdryer instead since it has a "cool air" option in it. If not, I'd appreciate it more if it can be explained again as to why can't I use cold air blows from a dryer.

Thank you

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

diff

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Cleaning cabinet insides
      « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:03:41 AM »
      With all due respect . I think I mentioned I know about the cleaning process. Question was extended.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »
      Use whatever you like, it's your computer. Personally, I'd use something made for the job - but it's your call. Just be careful and follow as much of the instructions in the link posted above as possible.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:53:34 AM »
        Given the nature of the pollutant (concrete dust) my primary concern would be that as you are probably aware;when the canned air is expended for more than a very brief period it will cause moisture to arise on the surface. Moisture +cement dust =concrete.So either use the canned air very briefly or use the vacuum mini attachments in the link (i use that often-but have never used them blowing only sucking). Also as part of your process try to prevent blowing on any fans to cause excessive speed on fan rotation.truenorth

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:01:10 AM »
        The main reason vaccuums and hair dryers aren't recommended is 'cause of the huge amounts of static they generate...

Also Endust makes an electronic component cleaner that would put a slick micro surface on the interior that would inhibit it clinging to the surface...
        I recommend a complete tear down however if you are going to use it.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:04:04 AM »
        Or...there's this::

8)

diff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »
          Use whatever you like, it's ...... above as possible.

Of course... Doesn't everyone. But I posted to learn something and being fully informed before I go on forward with my stupidity ;)

@all: irony is, I live in India and I searched the market but was unable to even find a freaking can of compressed air.

Given the nature of the pollutant (concrete dust) .......on fan rotation.truenorth

Thanks a lot! Point noted and that does help.

The main reason vaccuums ........ if you are going to use it.

Guess I wasn't as clear in my wording but that is precisely what I wished to know. That particular cabinet out of the two I have is something I wouldn't ever wanna take any chances with. With 'truenorth' and you around I think I can particularly be a bit more crazy with my questions I guess (lol, crazy questions ahead; warning) and ask a bit more...cause I really don't wanna mess with that system yet want it absolutely clean.

So like I mentioned above that I was even unable to find a can and have no vacuum equipment currently at home, I went down to the market only to find a cheap fat nozzle air blowers available which makes the hairdryer look like a better option. Its just that the market here sucks.
          I was wondering if blowing out of squeezy-squeaky plastic toys with their air outlet holes, create static as well xD (Yes I know I sound a little desperate but I think I am at the moment :( ) or any other home idea apart from the picture you posted :P
          Can I possibly detach out each circuit and gently jerk it expecting the dust to fall....
          I feel incredibly silly asking all of that myself but please, just help o.o

Thanks for all the help so far, as well.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
          The main reason vaccuums and hair dryers aren't recommended is 'cause of the huge amounts of static they generate...

Also a vacuum cleaner can suck air through a fan so hard it may overspeed and can destroy the bearing, and suck RAM modules out of their slots, either completely or just partly, giving rise to puzzling fault symptoms.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
            Just to add more "confusion" to the issue.In the many instances where i have used the "vacuum" method with the mini attachments i have fortunately been able to use a vacuum that has a variable orifice that can limit the degree of suction so i have not had to be concerned with the ingestion of cards or whatever, It also occurred to me (though i have never used the tool) and given your struggle to find suitable devices that a small artists spray paint unit (usually available at hobby shops) might give you the air blowing ability.You could tape a straw to the nozzle end and give you more directional control. Having said all this i really am attracted to the pictorial suggestion of patio's though. I see some ancillary advantage that right now with a tremendous heat level we are experiencing here it would assist in keeping me cool. truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
            If you clean inside a case with canned air, leave the RAM modules and any expansion cards in their slots. Dust can get blown into empty slots and cause all kinds of odd symptoms. Especially the RAM slots.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
            Also a vacuum cleaner can suck air through a fan so hard it may overspeed and can destroy the bearing, and suck RAM modules out of their slots, either completely or just partly, giving rise to puzzling fault symptoms.

Not to mention all of a sudden missing MBoard jumpers...

diff

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »
              Just to add more "confusion" to the issue.In the many instances where i have used the "vacuum" method with the mini attachments i have fortunately been able to use a vacuum that has a variable orifice that can limit the degree of suction so i have not had to be concerned with the ingestion of cards or whatever, It also occurred to me (though i have never used the tool) and given your struggle to find suitable devices that a small artists spray paint unit (usually available at hobby shops) might give you the air blowing ability.You could tape a straw to the nozzle end and give you more directional control. Having said all this i really am attracted to the pictorial suggestion of patio's though. I see some ancillary advantage that right now with a tremendous heat level we are experiencing here it would assist in keeping me cool. truenorth

cool. Also that reminded me- what would you say about holding a wet cloth while brushing off the dirt with a natural brush that artists have (I have an old sable brush with a long wooden stick) and while I do this I stand with my feet in contact with the floor (no shoes or slippers I mean). The cloth should do what a vacuum would i.e. stick the dirt to itself so it wouldn't slip and set back on it again.
              How much do you think this should help assuming compressed air can as a 99% good?
              Thanks again :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
                Based totally on conjecture my opinion re this method "How much do you think this should help assuming compressed air can as a 99% good" my estimate would be on the high side of 1% but on the low side of 3%.truenorth
                P.S. If you are in a high humidity area or the monsoon season is near i would get at it whatever you decide.

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
                If this computer means as much to you as you claim, don't use a blow drier or vacuum on it. As has already been stated, the static electricity would likely damage the computer.

Your three best options are:
                1. Canned, compressed air. So far you seem to have no luck with this.

2. Use an air brush compressor. (was mentioned by Truenorth)

3. Take the computer to someone who has an air compressor. Many automotive repair shops have these. Hold the nozzle quite a bit away (at least 30-50cm minimum), as they're very powerful (especially if it doesn't have a valve that let's you control the pressure).

I wouldn't recommend using any dust cleaning method that requires physical contact with the components.