Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-ROM issue  (Read 5799 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: CD-ROM issue
    « Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »
    Yeah, I have a virtual drive. You'll remember my vain attempt to play SwKotor 1. (It still doesn't work, by the way.) :-( Can the virtual drive cause my computer to take a long time? That seems to fit as far as time is concerned.

BTW, My IE Explorer 6 went GIANT PRINT on me. The page is displaying text that is, like, 46-point. Maybe I will check out www.Moziila.org.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 07:00:42 AM »
    1. Yeah, I have a virtual drive. You'll remember my vain attempt to play SwKotor 1. (It still doesn't work, by the way.) :-(

2. Can the virtual drive cause my computer to take a long time? That seems to fit as far as time is concerned.

3. BTW, My IE Explorer 6 went GIANT PRINT on me. The page is displaying text that is, like, 46-point. Maybe I will check out www.Moziila.org.

1. I thought it worked apart from one point in the game?

2. Try disabling it through the program you are using and then see if boot time increases.

3. Keep Shift pressed and move the scroll wheel up until it comes back to the size you prefer.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 04:18:41 PM »
      1.Yeah, I' talking about that one point in the game.

2. It lets me clear out the files, but the VCD will not go away.

3. Shift+MouseWheel acts like a Back/Forward button.  ???

Raptor

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »
      1.Yeah, I' talking about that one point in the game.

2. It lets me clear out the files, but the VCD will not go away.

3. Shift+MouseWheel acts like a Back/Forward button.  ???

2. What do you mean by VCD?

3. What browser are you using and what version?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 08:48:30 PM »
        1. VCD - Virtual Compact Disc.

2. Using Internet Explorer 6. (Don't tell me, let me guess; your fix for this is Mozilla, right?)  :D

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 07:34:54 AM »
        1. VCD - Virtual Compact Disc.

2. Using Internet Explorer 6. (Don't tell me, let me guess; your fix for this is Mozilla, right?)  :D

1. What program created this? You have to disable it from within the program.

2. You got me.  :P

What if you manually decrease the text size?

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 09:15:50 PM »
          1. nVidia's BFG Gamer's Toolkit. I'm still looking for a way to uninstall the VCD.

2. IE 6 sucks, you've said so yourself.

3. Text isn't bigger on all sites, just some. Now it says on the bottom, "Done, but with errors on page." What did I do to my computer, now?

About the SwKotor game: I found out what the fu - er - freak is wrong. It isn't the game; I played it on another computer and loved it. The problem is my computer muscles.

You see, I bought an obscure brand of computer called an E-Machine. It's cheap, but has less-than-standard hardware, forcing me to spend upwards of $500 on upgrades.  :P My CPU (Central Processing Unit for newbies) is not the cute little box on modern motherboards. It the old-skool thing that looks like a mini-city of tabs. It's less capable of utilizing my hardware to the max. Changing CPU's may/will fix the following:

1: A Lord of the Rings game crashes at random.

2: SwKotor has a problem in one spot.

3: CPU is shown to be running at 100% usage whenever I run such programs.

4: Games act like they have not been upgraded.

To heck with it - I'm saving up for a new computer! I will build my PC this time to ensure that all hardware is optimum for my desires. In short, I'm building my dream computer. I've looked at hardware, and building a computer will cost $1250, as opposed to $1700 for buying that computer or buying a cheaper one and upgrading. I've done so many upgrades, I know how to put one together. I'm practicing on my POS E-Machine...

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 09:36:44 PM »
            Okay, I uninstalled GameDrive from my computer. Now, that ANNOYING VCD IS GONE!!! YAY!!! And, I am happy to report, There no longer appears to be three CD drives in System Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. However, the monster problem still remains: It still takes a long time to boot. We've ruled out the BIOS (I think) and the VCD was a nice touch to remove that I appreciate, so, what now? Does the motherboard have a "memory" of what drives were originally installed? I've never heard of that! Though that might explain a minor problem in my Computer Tech class... hmm.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 07:46:56 AM »
            Does the motherboard have a "memory" of what drives were originally installed?

No, not the mainboard.

Windows device mananger remembers what devices were installed if you do not remove the entries before removing the hardware. It hides them and they can only be seen by starting the device manager with a certain command. But I doubt this increases boot time unless you did not remove drivers if you installed them yourself.

1. My CPU (Central Processing Unit for newbies) is not the cute little box on modern motherboards. It the old-skool thing that looks like a mini-city of tabs

2. Changing CPU's may/will fix the following:

1. What socket?

2. Are you certain it is not your current installation of Windows XP. If the OS is unstable, the entire PC could be rendered unstable.

We've ruled out the BIOS (I think)

Try resetting it to the default values to be absolutely certain.

I've done so many upgrades, I know how to put one together. I'm practicing on my POS E-Machine...

Knowing how is useful, but knowing what all the specifications mean and how they work together is much more important. Unless you like expensive/frustrating surprises.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
              Sorry, I accidentally wrecked the E-Machine. Put it back together, and now the problem is gone. Go figure...

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »
              I was going to suggest a reformat as the problems were so numerous.

During those 2 hours you will have time to reflect on good computing practices.

GX1_Man

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 12:00:30 AM »
              I was going to suggest a reformat and reload as the problems were so numerous.

During those 2 hours you will have time to reflect on good computing practices.