Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power supply  (Read 2811 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Power supply
    « on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
    Hi guys I am building a new gaming computer windows 7 64 bit 1Tb hardrive Gigabyte z68Ap-D3 mobo with Intel core i5, I currently have a consair 650 watt power supply.... will I need to upgrade my power supply to a 750 or 850 watt? and if so what would you recommend thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Power supply
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »
    The 650 will be sufficient but i always plan ahead...
    Don't buy a cheap one.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

urban3rd

Greenhorn
    • Whats a CPu?
      « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
      From what I have researched, it should be enough power to supply you computer, but Patio is correct, quality is important. Be sure to check you video card as well, I have heard that if your power supply isnt enough, it kaput. But i dont think they have a GPU that need no more than 600 watts,

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
        urban3rd, Please do not take offense but given you post immediately above and your self described knowledge limitations in the computer field i find it strange to say the least that you would be proffering advice to others on such technical criteria.truenorth

urban3rd

Greenhorn
        • Whats a CPu?
          « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
          I dont take offense, like Ive said i have done my research, now I may not know how to tell whether or not if this CPU is compatible with the motherboard ive been posting about. I do know from what ive read that and experienced, that if your power supply cant provide the juice it wont help. And as Patio was saying, quality is important, ive read that some can be quiet, or noisy, some have good life spans, unlike the case of a PowMax my friend bought for 30 dollars.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
          I dont take offense, like Ive said i have done my research, now I may not know how to tell whether or not if this CPU is compatible with the motherboard ive been posting about. I do know from what ive read that and experienced, that if your power supply cant provide the juice it wont help. And as Patio was saying, quality is important, ive read that some can be quiet, or noisy, some have good life spans, unlike the case of a PowMax my friend bought for 30 dollars.

This is correct. under powering a card however usually will not result in it failing; but instead the Power supply will die or the OCP (Over current protection) will kick in and just shut the system off.
          Nice clean power is important to your PC, you wouldn't run diesel in your petrol car now would you? :)

Depending on what graphics card and how many you include in there (Single or SLi) determines the answer to this question
          Single card - It will be OK as Corsair is a great brand. (I'm assuming it isn't actually a Consair, if it is, tha throws up major red flags)
          Dual cards - definitely go higher. Around your mark of 750-800 will cover it. It is always better to have more than not enough.

ToUtSi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
          http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator
          HERE YOU CAN PUT YOUR PC HARDWARE AND FIND WHAT POWER SUPPLY YOU NEED ;)