Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying photos  (Read 3484 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Copying photos
    « on: June 20, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
    I usually copy photos from my computer (having downloaded them from my camera) to MY PICTURES folder but today the window asking me where I want to copy the photos does not include the wording MY PICTURES.  Why?

Have tried to access MY PICTURES through MY DOCUMENTS and also through the DESKTOP (in the said window where I am asked where I want to copy the photos)) but no success. The words MY PICTURES will not pop up.

Meanwhile, the MY PICTURES icon still appears on my desktop.  The mind boggles !

I use Windows XP and Photoshop CS5.

Many thanks for your help.

GUZEPPI
    GUZEPPI

truenorth

Guru

Re: Copying photos
      « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »
      3 Things you can try if you haven't already done so.
      1. Do a search on the computer using *.jpg (assuming they were stored as JPEGs)
      2.If they accidentally were deleted check your recycle bin and if there click restore on the file.
      3.Do a restore to an earlier date on the computer (before you believe you lost them).
      truenorth 
      P.S. Here is a quote from another web site re the issue that may be necessary to perform if the above doesn't resolve the issue.
      Hi,

You need to make the changes here: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
      Shell Folders
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
      Folders

in Shell Folders set the value data of My Pictures to the address "C:\Documents and Settings\....\My Documents\My Pictures"
      in The user shell folders leave the value of My pictures blank

However i would await the input of other members re the additional suggestion before implementing as it involves changes to the computer registry.

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
        Many thks for prompt reply but I am scared of fiddling with the registry as I have been warned that it is a risky job in the hands of someone like me who is no computer expert.

Moreover, there seems to be a misunderstanding in the way I submitted my problem.  I am not looking for photos that I have lost.  I can easily access them on the computer via the card reader.

However, when I try to copy them to MY PICTURES folder I find that I am unable to do so as the window where I am asked to choose the folder where I want to copy the photos does not show the wording MY PICTURES, which means that, although the icon for MY PICTURES folder exists on my desktop, the name of the said folder does not show up in the window where I am asked where I want to copy the photos.

How to restore the name MY PICTURES in this window?

I trust this makes the matter clearer.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me out and who still keeps on being patient with me.  GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL.

GUZEPPI
        GUZEPPI

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
        Can't you just copy what you want to where you want using Windows Explorer?  Shortcut is Windows Key+"E" key.
        Your profile & folders is located under Documents & Settings.  Look for your logon name, the folders you want are under that.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
          If i understand the O/P dilemma correctly on this. It is that the sub-folder of "my documents" entitled "My pictures" (like my videos/my music) has disappeared and he cannot access it any longer. He would like (prefer) to have it available so he can store his transferred photos to it. He also wants to know where the photos he had placed within it are given that he cannot access my pictures. My 1st 2 suggestions were based on trying to locate the photos and the 3rd was to try and get the my pictures folder back. The link is a method offered to also return the access to the my pictures folder.I had assumed the only existing (if indeed it does still exist) source of the photos was in the my pictures folder. However with the additional information provided by the O/P it seems the pictures do still exist on a removable flash drive. I think our effort to assist should concentrate on the recovery of his my pictures folder if we can.truenorth

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
            Many thks, Computer Commando.  Your method has worked quite well.  Am grateful for your help.

GUZEPPI
            GUZEPPI