Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinMX  (Read 2320 times)

katrina

WinMX
« on: September 24, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »
I hope this isn't in the wrong category - not sure where to post it.

Is anyone else having problems with WinMX?  It no longer connects - just keeps on saying Connecting....  The website is down/unavailable.  Do you think it's gone for good?

Thanks.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: WinMX
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 11:01:44 PM »
    Currently, the WinMX.com homepage, the FrontCode.com homepage, the WinMX PNP Network and all of its host caches are down. It is impossible to connect to the network, and those remaining online will only stay online as long as their host supernodes do. But is this the end of WinMX?

Perhaps not. Interestingly enough, if one conducts a DNS whois for "WinMX.com", the result directs owner ship to a "WinMX Technology Associates" - not FrontCode Technologies as it has in the past. Even more interesting is the geographical relocation from Toronto, Canada to Port Vila, Vanuatu. Many will remember that Sharman Networks pulled a similar stunt to avoid prosecution in the Netherlands and to capitalize on "tax efficiencies."

katrina

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 05:37:52 PM »
    Thanks for your reply.  I do hope WinMX returns as it was, that's for sure.

I can see you've done some research about it - thankyou for the time.  I personally don't understand it but it's obvious you are very knowledgeable about a lot of things.  I am not, especially at this time Monday morning anyway lol  

Thanks again.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:53:16 PM »
      To cut it short, someone is threatening to sue WinMX for copyright infringements, so they pulled the plug until they find out where they stand.
      « Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 11:53:38 PM by Fed »