Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having 2 operating systems  (Read 2663 times)

Casey Mull

Having 2 operating systems
« on: September 25, 2005, 02:39:06 AM »
I was just wondering, I have a computer that I bought in the United States. On my internal harddrive I have windows XP English version. I live in China and recently bought an external harddrive. I also bought a Chinese version of Windows XP. Would I be able to have 2 versions of Windows XP on my computer?

Raptor

Re: Having 2 operating systems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 04:53:22 AM »
Yes.

See this article.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 06:51:05 AM »
Also yes. I have US English XP Professional on drive partition C: and French XP Professional on drive partition D: both on the same - internal - drive.

This is the boot.ini file so that you knwo what to look for...

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 06:53:02 AM »
As an afterthought. Does your English XP happen to be the US English XP Professional version which comes with the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) just in case you have overlooked the presence of the five language CDs?