Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer will not boot from proper device  (Read 14452 times)

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
computer will not boot from proper device
« on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
I recently put in a new motherboard. It is a K8V SE deluxe asus. It wont boot from HD. I had a prolblem back when I had to put in new HD. I then took it to a computer repair guy and he kept it almost 3 weks before he found out what to do,but he didnt say what that was. I know that there is something simple to make it boot from HD but i cant figure it out. I have went into bios and done everything i know  but to no avail. I also was told that the older asus boards like mine have a problem with this type thing. I know i dont have a hardware issue because everything is good. I built this computer back in 2006 and it still rocks. I would have pay 500 to 600 bucks to buy one that performs as well as this one so i would like o get it back to working order again. can you help thank you.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer will not boot from proper device
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
When you say it won't boot from the HD, what particular messages do you see if any? Are you trying to reinstall an OS?

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
no im not installing a os. I replaced the old motherboard with a new one but the same kind and make. its an asus kv8 se deluxe. there is something i have to do to make it read the HD. it detects it but will not boot from it. my screen says select proper boot device. ive been in bios but have had no luck. i know i do not have a hardware problem. maybe you can tell me something to do, cause im at a loss and i do not want to spend 200 bucks to some computer guy, but may have to lol.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
What is on the HDD ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
I also was told that the older asus boards like mine have a problem with this type thing.

I've never heard such a thing and never believe stuff like that unless it's documented with proof somewhere.

You need to give a lot more information about this system (make and model or custom), the drive (model, size, type, age, etc.), the OS that is currently on the computer, as well as specs on the system.

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
This computer is a home build. I bought all the hardware and put it together and i then took it to a computer guy and had the os installed. the os is XP. The mobo is a kv8 se deluxe asus. Amd Athlon 64 3700 core socket 754 cpu. 3 gig of 400 ram. A 9600 agp invidia card. turtle beach sound card. Seagate 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8mb/S-ATA-150. I know as far as computers go its considered old but it still rocks and thats why im trying to get it back up. I had the same problem back when i had to install a new HD. I gave up and took it to a computer repair guy and after 3 weeks he got it going. He said he had to do a partition but he did not elaborate. Anyone out there had a problem like this please help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
I had the same problem back when i had to install a new HD. I gave up and took it to a computer repair guy and after 3 weeks he got it going. He said he had to do a partition but he did not elaborate.

There's no telling exactly what he did to it...

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »
I'm still waiting for the part of why it won't boot from the hard drive. Error message? Problem? Something?

Sorry, we can't just guess these things and give you the solution.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »
OS installed on different hardware then swapped to another PC...it rarely works properly.

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »
Ok first off the os is the original os on this machine and has not been swapped from another. This what i get when i turn it on,Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key. My bios version is Fast trac 378 bios 1.00.0.37 if that helps. Oh and even if you guys cant help me I still thank you all for the response.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Is there a CD in the CD drive?

Do you have any other peripherals connected to the computer, like a flash drive or a usb hard drive?

Does the hard drive show up in BIOS? Is it properly reported there?

Have you tried loading the default or fail safe defaults in BIOS?
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000976.htm

I had the same problem back when i had to install a new HD. I gave up and took it to a computer repair guy and after 3 weeks he got it going. He said he had to do a partition but he did not elaborate.
Wow!
I would not go back to him.

Ok first off the os is the original os on this machine and has not been swapped from another.
I believe he meant the machine had been swapped. You say you got a new motherboard. There are other components that you can connect to a computer, like a hard drive for example, but for all intents and purposes the motherboard pretty much is the computer.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
The mobo is the same as the old one so its basically the same computer. Would updating or going to a better bios help me out? Im grasping at straws here. I dont want to take it to a computer repair store yet in a bad way. The bios on it is like a 6 year old version.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »
The so;ution does not lie in the BIOS...
What Win version is this and do you have the install CD >? ?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:36 PM »
Just to add also, try disabling your floppy drives and remove first your optical drive cable/power connector and reinsert CMOS battery after a couple of minutes. This thread helped the OP by marking the partition as active as suggested.

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
ok i tried the cmos reset, did not work. I tried putting cd in and repairing but it said do not detect HD. Now my bad but i forgot to mention that my mobo has raid config. I went into fastbuild mode and it showed my harddrive on 1st array and it said functional but for some reason will not detect in boot mode. Now i know for a fact that my HD is working and the mobo is good and so is everything else. So what else can i try. Does my computer still have dos, I know that dos is not that important like it use to be on old computers. If so how do i get in it, and what if anything can i do in dos.This is really aggravating cause i know it is something simple to do. Oh and by the way i built this machine in 2006 so like i said on an earlier post its considered old but it works great when it was running and i would have to spend around 600 to 700 bucks to match it. So if nothing happens this time i guess its repair guy to the rescue, buy hey this site is great and i appreciate all of the response you people have givin my thread. So even if i dont get the hepl i need ill still keep coming back for help in the future. If i have to take it to shop and i can get the guy to tell what he did ill share on this site. But if yall will try one last time it would be great. :)

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »
i forgot to mention that my mobo has raid config.

Now you tell us...

I went into fastbuild mode and it showed my harddrive on 1st array and it said functional
If you only have one hard drive you shouldn't be using the RAID controller at all. RAID is for multiple hard drives. Here is an explanation of RAID:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

From your user manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1872_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf
This is a diagram of your motherboard

Notice there are four SATA connectors there. Two of them are labeled SATA1 and SATA2 and the other two are labeled PRI_SATA and SEC_SATA.

Serial ATA connectors (7-pin SATA1, SATA2, )
These next generation connectors support the thin Serial ATA cables
for primary internal storage devices.
That would be these two:

RAID Serial ATA connectors (7-pin SEC_SATA, PRI_SATA)
These Serial ATA connectors support SATA hard disks that you may
configure as a RAID set.
These two:

I would make sure the hard drive is connected to SATA1.

Since you say this is the exact same motherboard, it should boot. You may want to configure your boot order to start with the hard drive. This is covered on page 4-33 of the manual. 

If the board does happen to be slightly different than the one you had before and you want to run Windows XP, post back for instructions on how to get the XP disk to recognize the hard drive.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
It also should be noted that because you are using XP, the XP installer may not see a SATA drive. You may need to obtain a driver and when prompted by the Windows XP installer, provide the driver so the installer can see the drive. I believe this driver is obtained from the motherboard manufacturer.

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
JJ 3000 it has always been connected to the primary sata, Connecting to sata1 and it will not even reconize HD. Primary 1 is for fast build. It says on fast build that HD is 1.0 stripe array 1 U6 status functional.. Fast build gives the option of config 2 harddrives to run as 1 or as 2 individual drives or as 1 but if 1 goes out the other still works.
 quaxo I tried running the mobo cd but it would not open. I tell you this is very perplexing because I can put in os cd and it goes thru the motions but when it gets to part where it will repair of download is when it says cannot detect HD, but it says HD is operational in bios and fastbuild mode. Im not computer ignorant but im not as knowledgeable as you guys so im sure there is something im not doing right. Most likly if you guys had it hands on you could figure it out. OK the last time I had it in shop the guy told me he had to do a partition, now I know that you can partition HD in parts or as a whole so how can I do a partition on it. Bare in mind  I cant open windows so how do I do a partition to make mobo boot from it without windows. Oh and jj3000 you said you can tell me how to make windows cd recconize hd. That would be great.  :) This problem has been a challenge.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »
Hi tstrek

I have read thru all the replies and would like to suggest you try the drive in sata1 mode. Some versions of that  via southbridge chip had a problem. I quote

It seems that the problem is actually that the Southbridge chip on the motherboard (VIA VT8237) can’t handle SATA II drive speeds (300 Mb/s) – and that they don’t auto-negotiate down to SATA I speeds (150 Mb/s) check the jumpers for your harddrive on the label or at the website. the data should be OK and the drive should boot.

Ff this is the problem, the solution would have been impossible to find without all the good questions you answered .

Lisa

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »
Primary 1 is for fast build.
What are you building? You do have only one hard drive, right? You shouldn't be trying to build an array. You shouldn't be using the raid controller at all if you only have one hard drive (last time I'm gonna mention this). Why do you think you have to build anything?

It says on fast build that HD is 1.0 stripe array 1 U6 status functional

If you had looked over that link I gave you you would see that RAID 0, also known as striping, distributes data equally between TWO hard drives. You have to have at least TWO hard drives to make a striped array work. Striping will not work with only one hard drive.

Connecting to sata1 and it will not even reconize HD
What do you mean? What is it? The XP CD? Does it not list itself in the standard CMOS features?

Lisa_maree is right, by the way. The VIA VT8237 microchip has a problem with SATA 2 hard drives. If your hard drive is SATA 2 you will have to jumper it to run at SATA 1 speed.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

tstrek

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
Okaaayyyy let me try this again. My HD has always been connected to the primary sata. Im my manual on page 2-23 it says that, by default the drive you connect to primary connector follows the ATA 133/100/66/33 protocol as an indepentdent drive, not as a disk array. So im not trying to build an array that is just the connector I have to use. On page 2-24 of my manual it says, Hot plug support for Serial ATA drive and connections is not available in this motherboard. So if im reading it right the SATA connections will not work. If I connect to SATA 1 it will not even try to boot but simply say no hard disk. Come on peeps there has got to be a computer nerd out there that can tell me what to do! JJ3000 you said you can tell me how to make my XP CD reconize the HD, so how can I do that?  If have to make a partion to make it boot from HD how do I do that with no windows? ??? Now I know this has been a agravating problem for some of you but it is more so for me. Oh sorry for the late post I have been busy the last couple of days.  :) Oh and thanks for all the support im getting. I was really suprised at how many have read this and the quick response.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »
The XP CD will probably recognize the drive when you supply it with a driver...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
Hi

Please confirm that you have jumped the drive to sata 1 speed of 150mbs as I said in my last post.
What is your drive model and I will confirm whether this is done true software or a jumper.

Lisa
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan