Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Babylon replaced my search engine in Firefox.  (Read 6351 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Babylon replaced my search engine in Firefox.
    « on: April 27, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
    Hi and thanks for looking at my thread.

I ended up with my search engine replaced by "Babylon" in Firefox 18.

((People that have had Babylon would know that they are full of their own ads, from which they get financial compensation.) Im not against that. Its just UGLY!)  :(

Long story short, I am at the stage of "resetting defaults" as instructed @ 2.2 on the Mozilla Website.

What I would like to know please, is, when I do the reset, does it destroy all the previous data, cookies, passwords or anything else that I might actually want/need to keep?

Or

Is there another way of getting rid of the Babylon as the search engine when I open new tabs?

Thank you. ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Babylon replaced my search engine in Firefox.
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
    Me too. Something you installed modified Fire Fox.  Just keep removing plug-ins and add-nos until you find the culprit. It is a real PITA.

You may have to save your bookmarks and passwords and fully remove Fire Fox and install again.
    Here is one of many posts about this #%*@%+ thing.
    http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-babylon-toolbar

If you find an easy way, please share.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
    Adwcleaner will remove most PUP or unwanted toolbars. Complete instructions/steps are found here http://malwaretips.com/blogs/babylon-toolbar-removal/

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
      Thanks for the reply/ies Geek-9pm and jason2074.

I agree sooooo much. It is a GIANT pain in the Assetts, and I am usually so careful about their crap. I really didn't even see it coming. I was thorough with the ticks in checkboxes and decline offer and so on, but this one seems to have snuk through the defenses. (is snuk a word?).  :-\
      They are getting good these days.

Even when I looked for it in, add/remove programs it didn't show up at all.

I have another one from Whitesmoke that won't go away, doesn't matter how many times I try to uninstall or delete it!!!

I went through all the plugins and disabled the ones that are most likely, then the ones I didn't recognise,.. but now I only have 6 left. Febe, Logitech, FVD, AU Dictionary and OneClickDownloader... ( My thoughts are, Thats the one!!! ).

4 units are from Zoomex 3.2, all the same, but I don't know what that is yet? Count that as either 1, 4 times or 4 total, gives me 10. I don't know?  :-\

jason2074, I read that page during my research and that's how I got this far. Thanks for the reference. I didnt know much about Adwcleaner, but seeing you recommended it I gave it a shot. It came up with a log as long as my femur. Must say I didn't/dont  understand it yet, but the list had a lot of selections that I could delete??? Bit of a learning curve on that one. 8)

Thanks heaps. I'll keep working on it for a while.
      Cheers ImnoGuru.  :D

It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Babylon Support

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:52:09 AM »
        Hi and thanks for looking at my thread.

I ended up with my search engine replaced by "Babylon" in Firefox 18.

((People that have had Babylon would know that they are full of their own ads, from which they get financial compensation.) Im not against that. Its just UGLY!)  :(

Long story short, I am at the stage of "resetting defaults" as instructed @ 2.2 on the Mozilla Website.

What I would like to know please, is, when I do the reset, does it destroy all the previous data, cookies, passwords or anything else that I might actually want/need to keep?

Or

Is there another way of getting rid of the Babylon as the search engine when I open new tabs?

Thank you. ImnoGuru.

Dear ImnoGuru,
        Babylon is actually an integrated software package that offers translation services along with a globally focused search and toolbar.
        These extra programs are meant to help complete the Babylon experience and make getting access to all of the information you want even easier.
        If you don't want these, you don't need to reset Firefox.
        If you wish to remove it from Firefox just follow the instructions bellow:

1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Click on the Search bar, located on the right side of your address bar 
        2. Press the F4 key and select Manage Search Engines from the drop down list that appears. 
        3. Select Search the Web (Babylon) and click on the Remove button. 
        4. Click OK to save your changes. 
        5. Open Mozilla Firefox. Click on the FF menu button. 
        6. Select Options. 
        7. Now select the General tab. 
        8. In the section of the popup labeled "Home Page," insert the URL of your desired Home Page. 
        9. Click OK to save the changes. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me any time at [email protected]

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
          Thank you for your reply Babylon Support.  ;D

Thank you too for taking an interest in my post. Its very progressive of you/Babylon to be aware of posts about your product.
          You may be an regular user of Computer Hope, an individual and took interest in my thread, just tripped over my post, or perhaps as I said a progressive company that actively pursues comments. Either way you have certainly improved awareness of the Babylon search engine and personally I think for the better.
          I've never had any reply from Google or Ask.
          After all, where else are you going to get feedback on product development if users just delete it all and you have no idea why.

I actually understand where you are coming from Babylon Support, and in all fairness, I have had the opportunity to review some add-ons and designs etc. and found it easy to work with.
          You can pretty it up a bit and it has a little ticker tape on the bottom of current news article headlines.
          I acknowledge that it is indeed useful, easy to use and useable. :D

I thank you also Babylon Support for advice on how to remove the instal easily and I hope completely. I'm glad I can afford the time for this computer to sit idle and that I didn't follow Mozilla's suggestions yet. I'll follow your instructions and see how competent I am.

I understand your idea of your product, that it is like a new father with his first born. I too would say and do anything in the support of my children, regardless of their fallacies.

As it is these days with "integrated software packages" that
          are meant to help complete the Babylon experience and make getting access to all of the information you want even easier.
          , where I only want an item in particular, just because you have that product, page, picture, program or whatever, I HAVE to have the whole package so that you keep me as your customer and keep me coming back to your search engine, just because you happen to be the people that I found this particular article of which I wanted to peruse the contents.

Well I didn't want a ham & cheese roll with lettuce, tomato, onion, salt and pepper with a dash of mayo.
          I simply wanted a ham & cheese roll.

Maybe I am being a dinosaur, entrenched in my ways, rigid to the core and unadventurous.

Maybe you just got me on a bad day.

Maybe you should add in to the code a SIMPLE undo/uninstall feature.  :)

Thank you though for your help and input. I actually quite like a few of the add ons available in Babylon and when I have a bit of time perhaps I can explore it more thoroughly. The only aspect I dont like about (well any of these things) is the subterfuge used by replacing the search engine and home page.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
          The Babylon search/toolbar is considered as Adware. Use Adwcleaner and hit Delete button to remove Babylon and other PUPs in your system.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:42 AM »
            Well, jason2074, I completely agree with that assessment.

I have tried the suggestion from Babylon Support to the letter and so far it is still here.

So, Adwcleaner it is.

We'll see whether that clears it out.
            Thank you ImnoGuru. :)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
              « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:47:14 AM »
              jason2074, that worked a treat. Thank you.

I downloaded the program from your first post but I didn't have time to run through the workings at that time.
              When I ran it, Adwcleaner came up with a huge log and I didnt understand what it was telling me. ((Maybe I should have read the instructions . Hehehe.) Oh, and actually I still haven't read them.)

I'm assuming that the log generated is all the bad stuff on the computer. (Well that was huge, and here's me thinking this computer was pretty clean. Hmmmph).
              Adwcleaner is easy to use though and quick.

Babylon problem seems to be resolved.

Geek-9pm, Adwcleaner seems to be the quickest and easiest way to delete Babylon.
              I went through, search engine management and deleted it there. Didnt go away.
              I used the Firefox recommendations. Didnt delete it.
              I used Babylon Support's method. Didn't get rid of it.

Then I used Adwcleaner and now its gone.

Thank you everyone.

ImnoGuru. ;D

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
               :)