Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP recovery partition problems vista home premium  (Read 4248 times)

pearlhouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

HP recovery partition problems vista home premium
    « on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
    I just did a complete win vista home premium recovery on my daughters HP Pavillion dv6000. I used the recovery method that HP provides from their dedicated partition. My problem is that just before we started the recovery my daughter found some more files that she wanted to save to reinstall later. We didn't have any way to back these up so I made a "MY Docs" folder on the partion recovery D:drive and copied everything to this folder, thinking I would be able to copy them back after the recovery. I created this folder directly under the HP recovery D: drive just as the Recovery folder was done. After completing the recovery and also doing SP 1 & 2 I went to this HP Recovery D: drive to retrieve these files.  The folder was not there anymore.  After searching a little I found a new folder "$RECYCLE.BIN" as the first folder shown followed my several other folders with  lavender colored icons in front of each. (Never seen this type of icon before) One of these folders is the folder I made up "MY Docs" When I try and open it up it shows me an HP Icon and a warning that this is a recovery partition.  But if I right clik it and clik properties it shows me there are 1337 files and 149 folders just as I copied them there.with the size as 866MB.  This complete Recovery drive is 13G and still has 1G of free space.
    Can somebody tell me how I might access this folder to retrieve the files.  Needless to say but my daughter is really pixxxxxxd at me for screwing this up.  I was able to copy this folder to my desktop where I thought I could work on it but all i get is the HP Icon with  the partition warning.

carlos1001

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: HP recovery partition problems vista home premium
      « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
      Try this.
      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00679369&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=18703
      I don't know if this article will help, so try This program called FreeCommander. It's kind of like windows explorer, but you can view the data that has been in the recovery partition. http://www.freecommander.com/fc_setup_.zip

Carlos

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
      Ignore the warning.  Copy the MY DOCS folder to your new C-Drive.

pearlhouse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
        Neither of these allow me to open the folder up. When I try to open up the folder I get the HP Recovery warning. Im still looking for a way to get this folder open.  If I take the properties of this folder it still shows all the files and sub-folders that are part of the main folder I created..
        Some how this folder is encrypted with something. Ive tried taking ownership of the folder and was succesful but it still would not open up. Ive copied it to another computer but still get the same result.  Please Help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
        Who encrypted it ...and with what ? ?

It doesn't happen on it's own...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "