Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS A8N-SLI: Chipset broken?  (Read 4010 times)

leons

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    ASUS A8N-SLI: Chipset broken?
    « on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
    Dear readers,

I hava an quite old desktop standing in my room, this evening when i tried turning it on it said: beeeeep-beep-beep-beep and didn't show any screen.
    On this site i found out that it might have something to do with my video-card or chipset.

Fortunately i have my desktop setup with remote desktop, so i tried to log in (not being able to let my desktop show anything on the screen) and it worked.
    The computer seems to work fine, except for the fact that there is no video output.

Then i physically opened my desktop and reïnstalled most of the hardware parts, when i realised that my chipset fan wasn't turning as it should, because the heatsink beneath it turned out to be tremendously hot.

All in all, i don't really know wat the problem is. Might it just be the fan or should i just throw away my whole motherboard.
    In a few days i will be able to test my video card in another PC, but i don't think the problem resides in that part.

Thanks in advance,

Leon

PS.
    My computer (in stripped form) consists of:
    Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
    AMD64 3800+
    Club3d Video Card (7900 GT or something like that)

And before i forget: my computer is set to overclock by 10% and was working fine until this evening...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: ASUS A8N-SLI: Chipset broken?
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
    1st thing you should do is revert back to the default BIOS settings and test that...
    2nd thing to try is replace the CMOS battery...Part # CR2032 available anywhere...remove all power when replacing it...
    3rd thing would be to replace the CPU fan using new thermal paste...

Thermal Paste Guide...

Then DLoad and install a fresh copy of the chipset drivers and install them
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

leons

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
      Hi patio,

I tried to reset the BIOS using the RTCReset jumper, i do not know if it worked for i can't get any feedback from the screen.
      But anyway, the desktop didn't make any improvements. Still the heatsink is getting red hot and the fan is not turning and no video output is made.

Thanks anyway. Any other suggestions?

Leon

PS. The CPU is working properly, since i am able to remote desktop to the desktop!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
      My suggestions are in the above Post...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
      ...my chipset fan wasn't turning as it should, because the heatsink beneath it turned out to be tremendously hot.
      ...My computer (in stripped form) consists of:
      Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
      AMD64 3800+
      Club3d Video Card (7900 GT or something like that)

Find out why the chipset fan isn't working.  Is it full of dust?
      This is definitely your problem.  Most motherboards don't have a chipset fan.

leons

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
        This picture indeed is my motherboard, the shiny/silver fan is not turning around indeed.

When i got it of and tried turning it with my hand it was giving a lot of resistance, so it was hard to turn it around.
        The voltage i measured were 0 Volt (Ground), 12 Volt (12 Volt) and 6 Volt (Rotation).
        I guess, as you suggested, that my fan doesn't work anymore, but i hope i'm not too late to save my chipset from burning in *censored*.

I will try a new fan and today my father will bring another old desktop with him.

Thanks,
        Leon