Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't wake from sleep  (Read 3993 times)

gunkinjunk

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    computer won't wake from sleep
    « on: June 29, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
    vista 32bit sp2 my computer goes to sleep but the blue light on the start button don't turn to gold it just stays blue and then start flashing blue, then i cant wake it up, so i just keep the sleep setting to never sleep so i can just shake the mouse and resume. i checked all my settings even in the device manager updated all my drivers and checked my bios update according to hp website. all the time shutting down and restarting for hours to check it and still same problem could you please help me this is really interesting and lastly, will a complete system recovery resolve the problem. oh by the way it being like this for approx. 4 months but i use to hit the sleep button on the keyboard to sleep it (but wouldn't sleep from the power option setting automatically) and shake the mouse to wake it until 2 weeks ago.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer won't wake from sleep
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
    OK do you have one of two things plugged into your pc
    #1 wireless mouse or wireless keyboard
    #2 do you have thumb drive / usb drive plugged in

For #1 if the answer is yes go to the companies web site and get the drivers and install them (even knowing vista has native ones that work)

For #2 if the answer is yes unplug the thumb drive / external drive

If you have one or both of these please try the above answer you would be surprised how often it fixes the issue.

If you dont have either one let me know if you still have the problem and i will try to help you, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

immental1200

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »
    OK do you have one of two things plugged into your pc
    #1 wireless mouse or wireless keyboard
    #2 do you have thumb drive / usb drive plugged in

For #1 if the answer is yes go to the companies web site and get the drivers and install them (even knowing vista has native ones that work)

For #2 if the answer is yes unplug the thumb drive / external drive

If you have one or both of these please try the above answer you would be surprised how often it fixes the issue.

If you dont have either one let me know if you still have the problem and i will try to help you, Mike   

This won't affect resuming from sleep.

vista 32bit sp2 my computer goes to sleep but the blue light on the start button don't turn to gold it just stays blue and then start flashing blue, then i cant wake it up, so i just keep the sleep setting to never sleep so i can just shake the mouse and resume. i checked all my settings even in the device manager updated all my drivers and checked my bios update according to hp website. all the time shutting down and restarting for hours to check it and still same problem could you please help me this is really interesting and lastly, will a complete system recovery resolve the problem. oh by the way it being like this for approx. 4 months but i use to hit the sleep button on the keyboard to sleep it (but wouldn't sleep from the power option setting automatically) and shake the mouse to wake it until 2 weeks ago.

A system recovery ... probably won't help.

I can however suggest resetting the power settings to default.

To Reset and Restore All Power Plans

NOTE: This can be handy if you have a missing default power plan and would like to restore it, or would like to reset all default power plans back to their default settings.
    1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the Start Menu search box, type cmd and press Enter.

3. In the command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press Enter.
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

4. Close the command prompt.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
    This won't affect resuming from sleep.
    I would not make such an absolute statement. While having a thumb drive / usb drive plugged in should normally not cause such problems, how can we say that this always holds true for all brands and models of computers?  As a troubleshooting step, I think hartbeatmr's suggestions have some merit.