Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop looses internet / LAN connection overnight every night  (Read 4252 times)

bdwillie

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Familiar
    Hope someone can nail this for me, have pulled the rest of my hair out and can't figure this out.  Background,  Home network system, netgear gigabyte wireless n router WN3500?? I think,  Plugged into that is a netgear 8 port gig hub, plugged into the hub are a printer, two desktops, a server, a network media tank, and a WII.  Also on the wireless side are three laptops.  EVERYTHING has a permanently assigned IP address with the router.  The Router, hub, server, and both desktops are on 24/7 and are on UPS's.  This setup has worked flawlessly for about two years, server backing up the desktops everynight and so on.  For the last month, I have ONE desktop that looses connection every night.  When you hover over the connection icon in the systray, it always says unidentified network, local only.  Even that is a fib as it won't see anything else on the network either, and is not showing up as connected in the router.  The only way to fix it is to reboot the desktop, and all is well until the next morning.  There seems to be no consistant time as to when it disconnects, just sometime in the night. 
    Things i have tried.  Replaced the internal netgear GIG card in the desktop, assumed it was failing, replaced the cat cable, tried a different port on the hub, tried the built in 10/100 port on the desktop (with and without the gig card installed)  made sure the power option for the card was not set to disable to save power, released the assigned IP address and gave it a different one, uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers, also checked for updated drivers.  Everything else about this machine is working perfectly.  There has been no new software or hardware changes.  Stumped I am, and it is only affecting this one desktop.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Bob

gjmay12

Re: Desktop looses internet / LAN connection overnight every night
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:03:25 AM »
    I am going toassume you have either a cable modem or dsl. Try rebooting one of those by unplugging the power from it wait a couple of minutes then plug in and see if it helps and also I se that you are using a hub? what for how many ports does the netgear have if it is enough for all your periphials then i would use it instead of the hub. That's what I do and I don't have near the things plugged in that you have

immental1200

Re: Desktop looses internet / LAN connection overnight every night
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »
    I am going toassume you have either a cable modem or dsl. Try rebooting one of those by unplugging the power from it wait a couple of minutes then plug in and see if it helps and also I se that you are using a hub? what for how many ports does the netgear have if it is enough for all your periphials then i would use it instead of the hub. That's what I do and I don't have near the things plugged in that you have

Safe to ignore this post. If the other machines are getting internet, its not your router / modem.

Instead

Try reinstalling / updating network card drivers in the 'dodgy' desktop. If your still getting issues try another network cable.

And then if still more issues, try another port on the router. If the issue persists, the last thing I can suggest for now is trying another network card in the desktop.