Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: linksys wireless internet help  (Read 3231 times)

Chase77

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    linksys wireless internet help
    « on: July 03, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
    Hello, I bought a new linksys router e1500 and i'm trying to use it to replace my older linksys router. My old one works just fine, I just wanted more speed. When I go to plug in my new one, the ethernet port light comes on, and of course the power light comes on, but not the internet light. All it will do is connect to the network then on my computer and laptop when I connect to the router it says I have limited internet access. But on my old one, everything works fine so it's not the routers or the computers. I'm pretty sure i've been through something like this before I just don't remember what to do. Any answers would be very helpful, and thank you for reading. By the way, I tried resetting it, and on the installation from the CD for the new router it gets a little % done then says some on the lines of "You don't have any internet access" well basically telling me the cord isn't plugged in to give me internet, but it is.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: linksys wireless internet help
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
    Welcome to CH.

Quick answer: Just wait. Your modem takes a bit to recognize you new router has a different LAN sublet. Read over the documentation for you DSL or Cable modem.

Try punting you PC directly on the modem and see what happens. You may have to poser down and power up again both modem and PC. Remember doing this about a year ago?

OK. Now again  with the new tourer in place after the modem. Check with your IP. Some modems don't let the router to do DCHP. Depends.

Some modems want to find a MAC address that belongs to on e of your PCs. If so, tell your router to fake the MAC. Or just power down and power up everything ans see if the modem finally gets it right without the need to change any settings.

The power down, power up, plug and unplug is actually the recommended procedure. Every time you unplug and plug in a cable, it makes the equipment do the thing again.

And you have to power done the PC and restart Windows sometimes.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: linksys wireless internet help
    « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
    Good evening

OK Here are some things to check but more info from you would be great

#1 Who is your ISP, Roadrunner, Verizon DSL
    #2 In some areas DSL router new mac address needs to be givin to the ISP so they can change it and flush out the old mac.
    #3 Again in some cases Roadrunner also wold need to be contacted to give them the new mac address.
    #4 Make sure your modem (dsl or rr etc) nic cable is plugged into the WAN plug of your new router and your house network cables can go into the plugs on the router.
    #5 Make sure you are suing your correct ip info (like if you have a static IP or dhcp)
    #6 if you are dhcp after the new router is booted up un-plug the modem and wait a min and plug it back in.
    #7 If you where dhcp coming in the house and if you where dhcp on your pc.
    #8 (this is for testing if the router still doesnt work) Un-plug the net work cable from your modem and plug it into your pc if it works than the router is miss configured.

I hope this helps if you need more help just let me know. Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?