Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: black screen-fried motherboard?  (Read 6079 times)

mimi

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    black screen-fried motherboard?
    « on: July 07, 2012, 03:21:22 AM »
    HI, Mydesktop pc would not boot and I have a  black screen.  Repair tech says the motherboard is fried, and suggest new computer or placing hard drive in a case  to use as external drive, and  I can boot from it. So all my data is there. Does that mean the external drive would connect to the old pc tower?
    Said replacing motherboards don't usually last., plus cost would be near that of building or buying new one.
    Really need to get to my Quicken files.

I am not sure I want to buy another desktop, maybe just a laptop now .
    I do have access to a laptop but don't want to install anything that I can't uninstall since I have to return the lapptop soon.
    Suggestions?

Thank you, Mimi

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: black screen-fried motherboard?
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
    ... Does that mean the external drive would connect to the old pc tower?...
    No.  It means that you remove the hard drive from the old computer & connect it to the new computer.  If the new computer is a desktop, you connect it to the motherboard as a secondary drive.  If the new computer is a laptop, you put the old drive in a USB enclosure & connect it to a USB port.  Either way, you then copy your files to the new computer's hard drive or use them directly from the old hard drive.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
    Hi mimi

I think you should consult with another technician. if you take the hard drive out of the faulty computer and put it into an external case you will be able to access the data but not the programs from the old computer.

You don't say anything about the type, make, model of the old computer it maybe that is old enough that if it was repaired other things would go wrong.
    Also the Windows version is important if it is what's called an oem version which is on the windows label it may not be possible to transfer to a different computer. 

I'm really surprised the tech didn't transfer the drive to another computer and get you up and running so that you could consider your options. Perhaps they don't do that where you are.

You may be able to find the same computer used that the drive would work in, at least that would give you some time to consider the next step.

Lisa
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »
      Both CC and LM have given you very sound advice. If i may also contribute. Not to say that it is impossible for the diagnosis of a "fried" MB to be the case. However if i had a dollar for every-time i witnessed that statement from an alleged expert i would be greatly financially advantaged. I would urge you to be patient and do some things 1st. For instance tell us more (as much as you can) as to the events that led up to this failure. Don't assume it is insignificant tell us everything. Changes in hardware/software--changes in the way the computer had been behaving--any new noises or absence of sounds that had normally been there? Certainly a 2nd hopefully credible opinion as LM has said is a must. Please also answer the rest of the questions she has asked.truenorth 

mimi

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
        Thank you LM, CC  and Truenorth.

I think it is too late for me to do anything but buy a new computer. It is  a Gateway 510xl, windows xp, and would not boot, but I could hear fans running.  Black screen.

The tech notified me that he has already turned the hard drive to an external  drive. NOw I need to purchase  a pc quickly.  I am sure I have my Quicken and other program installation cds. The  tech said he would transfer all files from the external drive to my new pc,for one low cost, however, I don't want to transfer everything, because there are duplicates on the drive.

Thanks for all of the answers , you all are wonderful.
        Mimi

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »
          Just before we leave you. Do not assume that because you have the software discs that were used to install certain programs on the gateway that they will necessarily work on your new computer. Often software can either be limited to the computer it was sold with or also can have a limited number of installations possible after which it will not function. In some instances you may be able to persuade the software manufacturer (because of factors) to extend the number of installations.Quicken has introduced new editions of their software from the one you probably have and may only be interested in having you upgrade.truenorth

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »
          It its a dedicated video card, they could try swap testing it if they have not done that yet. I've checked online for your gateway desktop specification and it comes with an AGP video card. http://support.gateway.com/s/VIDCARD/ATI/6002443/6002443nv.shtml
          « Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:49:51 AM by jason2074 »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
            I too was hoping we would have some time to try alternatives to replacing the computer. But it appears the O/P is either under some time constraints or has been persuaded by the "technician" to buy a new computer.truenorth

Dumb_Question

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
              « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
              I am interested in this because I have apparently the same problem.

Power gets to PC, fan starts, USB is powered, power light, a flash of HD activity, tries CD drives, but no progress, just a black screen, with no disk activity other than the initial.  There are no beeps.

I need to try to start up 10's of times - the number varies - before it will power up.  Have you tried many times to turn your PC on ?

I have made various changes to the PC shortly (some months) before this problem, but the problem didn't emerge immediately - some months later. I think it's got worse over the last 7-8 months.

Possible 'quick' solutions, which you might consider (not all of which I have tried):
              Power supply - defective or under powered.
              Fan problem (have tried replacing the fan though)
              Cables not seated properly (I have tried reseating them though)
              Missing Northbridge heatsink
              Short underneath motherboard (new idea) - possibly caused by 'lost' Northbridge heatsink anchor point (a loop of metal)
              Defective Capacitors on motherboard (a difficult job, but it can be done)

Dumb_Question
              6.August.2012

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
              Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
              Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
              RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
              PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
              Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.