Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Duplicate File Finders  (Read 20580 times)

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• I have 5 points and I love to flash
    Re: Duplicate File Finders
    « Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »
    What I said about the hot fixes is this: I keep getting notices of Microsoft Security updates.  When I try to install them I get a message that ___ couldn't be installed.  Often it pertains to a Service Pack apparently superseded by a later Service Pack, which I have, but techs always tell me not delete previous Service Packs.    One day I started getting Hot Fix files on my G drive.  Every time the security update would go through the cycle I just mentioned I'd get another one, apparently not needed because they were all the same.  I couldn't get rid of the duplicates (and the original didn't seem to be doing what it was supposed to do) till some one referred me to Unlocker.  They aren't a problem any more because Unlocker deletes them, and they aren't what I'm talking about here.

If I knew what various programs did I wouldn't be here asking about them.  Some of them came with the computer, some of them get installed by Yahoo or other services I use or tried.  Some don't get deleted when when the main application is uninstalled.  Some of them sure looked like duplicates, hence my original question.  Some folders have obvious names but a lot don't.  I asked elsewhere in the forum if there was a central "Can I Delete This" thread or if one could be started.

If I'm posting little pictures of screen shots it's because I was asked for information and this is the only way I know of to provide it.  If there's another way, tell me.

It's sounds like I have a lot more drivers than I do programs.  But then, what do I know?   If I knew, I wouldn't be asking.  Is it safe to uninstall any given driver?  I wouldn't know.  That's why I'm asking.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »

Some other links re: the installer folder:

How to clean out the windows installer folder

Another Forum thread on the MS Forums: C:\Windows\Installer is out of control!

Clicking the links provided ultimately leads me to this:
      http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

I created a destination folder on the G drive but I get a message from the C telling me the application can't be installed because the disk is full.   I'm definitely directing it to download to the G, but the C won't allow it.  As I said, I'm here because the C drive is full and I don't know what to delete.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 12:18:56 AM »
      One day I started getting Hot Fix files on my G drive.
      Thinking about this and forming a theory, this makes perfect sense. Everything is starting to fall into place here, actually! I'm convinced Windows Update has managed to get confused as to what updates it has installed. So it looks at available updates, sees a hotfix it thinks it needs, and downloads it. Normally, this download will download an installer to the Windows\Installer folder, however, if you don't have enough disk space, Windows Update will use any available Hard Disk it has access to. This is the first step of Windows Update- downloading it. Second, it runs that installer with a few arguments to say "be quiet and pretend you don't exist, I'll hum quietly to keep the user entertained". This works just fine- If that installer doesn't have a problem. In this case, that installer does have a problem because it finds that it is already installed, so it quits. But this confuses the heck out of Windows Update, which throws up it's hands and then forgets to delete the file it downloaded without leaving itself a note for later saying that update is installed. As a result, It won't be long until it sees "oh hey, another update" which is in fact the same one. Since the installer never finishes, Windows Update never marks that particular update as being installed, so it keeps thinking it's new; and each time it downloads it and doesn't delete it.

Obviously, the big thing we need to do is fix windows Update. Nothing else will resolve this problem, since Windows Update will continue to download the same updates over and over again and they will continue to consume more and more disk space. You can delete the contents of the Installer Folder, but that won't stop Windows Update from being annoying and also continuing the fill it up.

One thing you could try to fix the Windows Update tool is the "Microsoft Fix-it Center"

Choose "Windows" in "Select a Problem Area".
      Choose "Install or Upgrade Software or Hardware" in the "What are you trying to do?" section.
      Choose "Windows Update"

The first item should be pointing at this. Run that little bugger. Hopefully it twiddles the Update data files so that it is no longer confused.

EDIT: If you need more disk space- run the installer clean-up tool before hand too. Or just delete the installers from the installer folder in the windows dir.

After that, I say run the aforementioned Installer cleanup tool, which should delete a good portion of the Installers in the Installers folder. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you don't know if you need them, you probably don't. This should get everything back in sync.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
        In the meantime, I can't uninstall anything.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
        « Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:40:46 AM by Starwind51 »

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »
          Well something I deleted earlier today sent a whole lotta HotFix's to the recycle bin (C Drive).  I just found this now, and haven't FixIt'ed anything yet.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »
            "You can use a tool such as the Windows Installer cleanup utility to clean-up that folder"

I had to delete and move stuff in order to have room on the hard drive to uninstall little stuff in order to have room to uninstall bigger stuff in order to have room to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and I've run it, or at least I think I have.  The hard drive light flashed a lot but there was nothing on the screen to show that the product was running and no report on the screen to tell me any results, and I've got the same amount of free space as before I ran the utility - a little less than 800 MB, the result of my deleting, moving, uninstalling, and more uninstalling.  Now what?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
            How long have you had this PC ? ?
            When did it hit you that you were running out of HDD free space ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:57 PM »
            Now what?

Delete the files in C:\Windows\Installer

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »
              How long have you had this PC ? ?
              When did it hit you that you were running out of HDD free space ? ?

I've had the computer about 7 years.  Running out of HD has been an ongoing issue.  I've been to Computer Hope several times for different reasons related to hard drive space and have gotten different solutions depending on the cause.  Prior to the present discussion, Allan gave me this, and it worked for a while:

Re: "Can I Delete This?"
              « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »   

I suddenly had over 1 GB more space.  I don't know how it got filled up again.  I didn't install anything other than CCleaner, which I use often.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 02:34:37 AM »
                Delete the files in C:\Windows\Installer

Ultimately I had to uninstall my biggest program, but after several forced shut downs due to a frozen screen, I was able to install it on the G drive.

I don't think the driver problem is solved, though.  I still don't know how to find a list of drivers that are installed, and what programs they match up with.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 02:50:20 AM »
                I don't think the driver problem is solved, though.  I still don't know how to find a list of drivers that are installed, and what programs they match up with.

Drivers? you mean installers?

Like I said, your original problem is because Windows Update thought it needs an update that already exists, it downloads it, tries to install it, and the installer for the update goes "oh, I'm already installed" and quits. Windows Update got confused and just ignored it, but it forgot to delete the file it downloaded. And, worse, next time it checked for updates it sees that same one again and downloaded it and tried to install it again, ad infinitum. I use the past tense here, because if you used the "fixit" tool it should have fixed that particular issue, just leaving you with the excess files to delete.

I guess one way to see which ones are the update that Windows Update keeps trying to install would be to check the C:\Windows\Installer folder, and sort by date modified. There should be quite a few files of the same size.

FWIW in low disk space situations quite some time ago on XP I deleted the entire contents of C:\Windows\Installer without any traumatic effects.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »
                  I looked up the address of the installer and list goes on and on...

Then I went one level up to Windows and every time I hovered over "Installer" the number of GB went up, starting at "larger than 2.62 GB" to holding at "20.1 GB".

Any further opinions on deleting the entire contents of this file? 

Other than don't try to actually delete it all at once because I think my laptop will overheat if I tried.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                    • Me
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »
                  Re the original question, I've recently come across DupKiller, which seems pretty comprehensive: http://www.dupkiller.net/index_en.html

(I ran it on my machine and it came up with something like 35,000 suggestions of duplicated files, at which point I shrugged and closed the program.)
                  Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos