Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error: No Such Device message while trying to start Win 7  (Read 6113 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Error: No Such Device message while trying to start Win 7
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
Hello everyone! My specs are :
Dual Boot OS  Windows 7 64-bit, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Video card       ATI Radeon HD 7750 / ATI Radeon HD 5570
Processor        AMD Phenom 2 quad core
Ram                 16 gigs
Motherboard   MSI 870A-G54
Power supply  Corsair GS 600

I hope this one can be solved quickly. Full explanation is below.

Last night, I was copying a file to my external (my latest disc image backup, as a matter of fact) and it got stuck. The Copying... window had the loading bar fully green, and said 0 seconds remaining. It stayed like this for about 10 minutes, so I hit the Cancel button on the Copying... window.

After about 15 more minutes, it had not canceled, so I clicked the X in the top right corner, and the window grayed out. A new window appeared, it said "explorer.exe has stopped responding." and gave me three options, I clicked the one that said "Close this program" or something similar (the other options were Wait for this Program to respond and I forget the third.) Of course this make my desktop icons and start menu disappear. I used Ctrl alt del and selected Task Manager, chose Start new Task and typed in explorer.exe. This made the icons reappear on my desktop, and the start bar appeared, but for some reason I could not open any folders, start any programs, and right click did not open a menu. I decided to restart.

I could open the start menu using the super key, and selected Restart using the keyboard (for some reason my mouse would not select anything, even though I could move it freely.) It got to the Logging Off screen, and I walked away. 20 minutes later I came back and it was still Logging Off...

I did a hard restart (held in the Power button until the computer turned off and then turned it back on.) Now it will load past the bios, but never loads Windows, it says

"error: no such device: 8ef1b99b-8e16-4e16-97c4-4c02576d8a7f
grub rescue>_"

I tried my Installation disc and picked the Repair My Installation... option, but it alternated between telling me "Windows is not installed on this disc" and "This repair disc does not match this version of Windows, please insert the correct repair disc for this version of Windows." When I choose the Browse option, all my system files are under disc D:, and disc C: says "System Reserved" but has nothing inside of it.

I loaded Ubuntu, and I can still see the files and folders on the Windows disc, as if it is fine, but it will not boot to Windows.

The hard drive is less than a year old, and has not been acting up. No strange sound emanate from the hard drive.

Should I try to pull my things off the disc? Should I reinstall? Should I trash this hard drive? I am a little sad this happened on my Disc Image day, not sure if it really completed copying or not. Thanks for any help1

JJ 3000

Egghead
Re: Error: No Such Device message while trying to start Win 7
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »
I loaded Ubuntu,
You can still pick Ubuntu from the grub screen?

Have you tried
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »
You can still pick Ubuntu from the grub screen?

Have you tried
sudo update-grub

The thing is, I get the "no such device" message when booting to my Windows hard drive. I can boot to Ubuntu perfectly fine. I recently upgraded all the way from 10.04 to 12.04, but I have restarted since then without any problems. In fact, I booted up Windows just to do the Disc Image, and right away it started. Only after I had the problems with copying the disc image and explorer.exe crashing that it refused to start.

I have two different physical hard drives, both unpartitioned, one with windows (call it Drive 1) and one with Ubuntu(Drive 2).

I chose from the menu before start-up, it asks which OS I want to boot to. The menu includes Ubuntu, then Memtest 64, then Windows 7. When I choose Windows 7, I get the "No such device" message. I have tried unplugging the Ubuntu drive (removing the SATA cord from the drive) but I still get the "no such device" error and can not boot to Windows.

I have tried changing the boot order, but considering I still get the "Choose your OS" screen, I am guessing the boot order does not matter.

I typed in sudo update-grub, and pressed enter, but all it did was open the next line. So it looked like
grub rescue> sudo update-grub
grub rescue>_

Now I find that occasionally, when trying to start Windows, I no longer get the "no such device/grub rescue" message, just the blinking underscore. I left it for two hours hoping it would load, but it did not.

Thank you.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
(my latest disc image backup

I assume you have other image backups. The quickest fix may be restoring to a good disk image. If there are other files that you have saved since the last clean image back up, grab them from ubuntu before you restore.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
I assume you have other image backups. The quickest fix may be restoring to a good disk image. If there are other files that you have saved since the last clean image back up, grab them from ubuntu before you restore.

I do have other image backups, and I restored it sucessfully. Problem solved, thank you!