Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windws 7 preexcisting OS reinstalling.  (Read 12461 times)

jasperav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Windws 7 preexcisting OS reinstalling.
    « on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
    So a long time ago, i had Windows XP and i wanted Windows 7 and i bought an Windows 7 Preexcisting OS CD.

But my computer is very slow now, and i lost my windows XP key but i still have the windows 7 key...

MY problem is that i want to reinstall windows 7 with my windows 7 preexcisting OS CD but do i need to re-enter my product key for windows XP?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windws 7 preexcisting OS reinstalling.
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »
    What is a Windows 7 Preexcisting OS CD?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »
    There is no upgrade path from XP to Win7 so something is fishy here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jasperav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
      Hi Jasperav

Ok considering my self and other people here would need some more info on your system. But if you need to get ur SN / windows key there are many programs out there that will read your product key numbers (magicjellybean, ABR etc) just get your keys write them down and then do what you need to.

#1. You can upgrade from XP to windows 7 but you really cant upgrade xp to W7. Please let me explain during the the installation of windows 7 you would choose a "custom install" (but remember to do all your back up's before you continue). Installing W7 this way WILL not transfer setting, documents, pic's etc. It is really considered a fresh install so that is why you need to do a full back up before you continue.

#2. depending on what type of W7 disk you have will depend on how you can install W7. Some of the different types of disk's are OEM (all versions but Enterprise) Retail full editions (all editions) DSP = Direct service pack and also are considered now days as manufacture OEM disks, there is Retail Upgrade disks (again all versions but enterprise) then what used to be called OV or open volume. 

So it is really hard to help you with out some questions on hardware, software etc you are trying to re-install W7 on.

I know this may or may not help you, if you need further assistance please let me know.
      Mike 
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
      http://lmgtfy.com/?q=upgrade+windows+xp+to+windows+7

.__.

Your link is insignificant...i didn't say it can't be done...i stated there is no upgrade path which basically means an XP Key means nothing to Win7
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »
      A Google search shows this for the upgrade from windows XP
      Windows 7 Home Premium

But the same package also is sold for about $120. Without reference to XP.
      It is an Upgrade, because Windows 7 if better that XP.    ::)

Now... what was the OPs question?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
      A Google search shows this for the upgrade from windows XP
      But the same package also is sold for about $120. Without reference to XP.
      It is an Upgrade, because Windows 7 if better that XP.    ::)

Now... what was the OPs question?
      Exactly what do you mean by "upgrade"?  I think you're causing some confusion here unless you clarify.  As patio said:
      There is no upgrade path from XP to Win7 so something is fishy here...
      So, I think "upgrade" needs to be clearly defined here if you're saying there is an upgrade path. 

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
      Exactly what do you mean by "upgrade"?  I think you're causing some confusion here unless you clarify.  As patio said:So, I think "upgrade" needs to be clearly defined here if you're saying there is an upgrade path. 
      I believe what patio meant to say is there is no DIRECT upgrade path from XP to W7

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
      I believe what patio meant to say is there is no DIRECT upgrade path from XP to W7

I think people may be getting caught between two slightly different meanings of the word 'upgrade'. In ordinary English, to upgrade means to choose to improve something or bring it up to date. You might upgrade a cable TV package to a level with more channels, or an airline ticket from tourist to business, or upgrade the comfort level of a hotel room you have booked, or you might decide to upgrade from a 14 inch CRT to a 42 inch plasma TV. Or indeed to replace an old version of software with a newer one, or go from a free version to a premium one. Very often the software supplier will make a new version cheaper or free for owners of previous versions. With operating systems this may involve nuking the earlier version and completely replacing it with the new one, or sometimes (and here comes the other meaning of the word) with some Microsoft Windows versions, it is possible to transform an installation of an earlier or lower level version to a later or higher level one, leaving some or all installed programs, user files (documents, pictures, music, whatever) and some settings and stuff (e.g. bookmarks) intact. If you pay the lower price for an upgrade license the installer wants to see proof that you own the 'qualifying product'. Either it is there on the hard drive or it will ask to see the original OS CD or DVD.  Microsoft does not make this type of 'upgrade' available to users of every version. There is a list of supported (and unsupported) upgrades with Windows 7 as the target here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dd772579.aspx

If an upgrade of this type is supported, there is said to be an 'upgrade path' in existence. For example there are paths from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate, and from Vista Enterprise to Windows 7 Enterprise (only). There is no 'upgrade path' - using the Microsoft meaning - to any version of Windows 7 from any version of Windows XP. Of course that does not mean you can't put Windows 7 on a PC that is already running Windows XP. It just means that you can't buy a cheaper W7 license and keep all your installed apps in place. Hence people's curiosity about the "preexcisting OS disk". (I wonder if it was titled thus?) There is an Easy Transfer Wizard on the Windows 7 DVD that can look for non-program data in your old XP installation and shove the stuff you choose to keep into a .MIG file on an external hard drive so you can get at it after the Windows 7 installation is complete. Or you can do it manually first.

I do feel that using LMGTFY links should be done very sparingly; it can so easily seem like annoying sarcasm and a put-down, and is hardly likely to encourage a flood of help.
      « Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:05:31 PM by Salmon Trout »

jasperav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
        Wooow some people got way to offtopic!! there is no upgrade from xp to windows 7? i had windows XP professional and now windows 7 professional USING the preexcisting OS CD.

Here, i made a picture of this disc.
        http://tinypic.com/r/2435chd/6
        Now what i am asking for:
        When i first installed windows XP, i entered a valig key. After that, i inserted the windows 7 cd so I installed windows 7.
        I still have the key for windows 7, but not anymore for windows xp.

i DONT have a full windows 7 installation disc, but just a windows 7 preexcisting os cd what means you should have a valid windows xp or vista to upgrade to windows 7.
        So when i am reinstallig windows 7 USING the preexcisting OS cd do i need to enter again my windows XP key?

Thank you for your time.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
        Good evening jasperav

Welcome back and thank you for the picture that helps a bunch.

Now I do have a question for you did you / or can you use anything like magicjellybean etc to retrieve your XP key code. Or is there a MS sticker on the PC if so the MS key code (25 digit) is there also.

Hope this helps, Mike   
        Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
        Wooow some people got way to offtopic!! there is no upgrade from xp to windows 7? i had windows XP professional and now windows 7 professional USING the preexcisting OS CD.

Nobody went offtopic. You just didn't tell us you had an area-restricted student upgrade.

jasperav

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
          Good evening jasperav

Welcome back and thank you for the picture that helps a bunch.

Now I do have a question for you did you / or can you use anything like magicjellybean etc to retrieve your XP key code. Or is there a MS sticker on the PC if so the MS key code (25 digit) is there also.

Hope this helps, Mike

Glad i helped. Nope, magic jelly bean just gives me the key for windows 7, and i only had a windows xp disc with the code on it, but im 100% sure that disc is gone!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
          MY problem is that i want to reinstall windows 7 with my windows 7 preexcisting OS CD but do i need to re-enter my product key for windows XP?

Yes. The Windows 7 Upgrade disc prompts for a valid XP or Vista key if there is no existing Windows Installation on the computer.

EDIT: You can get the Product Key for an existing OS installation using tools like described. However I do not believe there is a way to get the XP key you used for the upgrade when running Windows 7.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.