Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Start Up Error (booting)  (Read 6048 times)

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Windows 7 Start Up Error (booting)
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
Hi all, I know it's probably some conflict with windows of another program/software I installed. But does anyone know why this error is coming up every time windows starts up?

Also I really don't want to restore my pc to an earlier date and I donot want to reinstall windows, there's got to be a reason for this, restoring it is just a quick fix.

thanks....
All in good time.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows 7 Start Up Error (booting)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Did this just start? If so, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)? Do you get the same thing with a clean boot? Let's find out:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:46 PM »
I was trying to find a good antivirus program I liked. I had COMODO firewall at first uninstalled that, it seemed after I uninstalled that, when the error occurred.  So basically it was uninstalling and installing new antivirus programs (Microsoft security essentials). So I have tried your solutions so far, non has worked I will keep trying your other ones you have on there.
All in good time.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
If you can't install a new AV you might also want to run an online scan and make sure this isn't malware related
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:02:20 PM »
Thank you, I'm attempting a registry scan, look at this (Link) reference and that's what it refers me to a corrupted registry file.

http://www.error-scan-tools.com/errors.php?t=0X40000015
All in good time.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »
Good evening Nightjay0044

The suggestions from Allan are dead on but I just wanted to inform you that comodo also has a removal tool that may help you https://forums.comodo.com/install_setup_configuration_help/cleanup_tool_for_comodo_internet_security-t36499.0.html so this can be run after you have removed your old AV / firewall

Some times the removal / un-install process companies make for programs do not always get rid of all registry entries, folders etc. So a lot of companies out there make a manual clean up tool. This link to comodo is a little old and if you decide to run this as well just go to the web site and look for the "This is a batch file for removing left-over files and registry entries. and click on the word "batch" that should start the process. 

Hopefully everything go well for you, Mike     

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
NEVER use any registry utilities, scanners, or fixers. They CAUSE problems, they do not cure them.

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Good advice! Things I've tried so far and nothing is working.

1. COMODO Firewall removal tool
2. MSCONFIG Disable services and also in general tab
3. I did even a restore point to the past day or so ago, no good.

Seems as if I tried it all and it isn't working? Any other advice?
All in good time.

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Okay this may be a little confusing but try to follow me here. I went back to the MSCONFIG settings to try it again.

STEP 1: Unchecked those 3 buttons.

STEP 2: System restarted and brought me to windows - after unselecting those items it gave me the windows 98 look instead of windows 7, but it made the error go away. And no services or nothing was present, not even internet. Here is the image.

STEP 3: Went back to MSCONFIG and only checked the "LOAD SYSTEM SERVICES" item. That seemed to do the trick, no error came up after I only selected that item. I didn't select start up programs.

So is it something in the start up program. Because I only selected Load system services?
All in good time.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
Yup, that's why i posted that post, i've isolated the error down to it's a start up menu program/item. Because without the start ups loaded up it doesn't cause the error, my pc works fine. I'll have to check back later to give you results on which one it is.. :)
All in good time.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
Yup, that's why i posted that post, i've isolated the error down to it's a start up menu program/item. Because without the start ups loaded up it doesn't cause the error, my pc works fine. I'll have to check back later to give you results on which one it is.. :)

Copy/paste a list of your startup items and we'll have a looksee...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
Okay - Update, weird part is now the error doesn't occur at all. Start ups run and services run all that. The error does not pop up anymore. Weird, I don't know what happened.  ??? ???  Anyways here is my list of start up programs.

All in good time.