Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to use GREP command to group lines  (Read 3552 times)

dmatrix1

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    how to use GREP command to group lines
    « on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
    What I have is a folder full of Protein Database Files (.pdb) that are code in the following pattern:

HEADER    OXIDOREDUCTASE                          27-FEB-12   4DXH             
    TITLE     HORSE LIVER ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE COMPLEXED WITH NAD+ AND 2,2,2-     
    TITLE    2 TRIFLUOROETHANOL                                                     
    COMPND    MOL_ID: 1;                                                           
    COMPND   2 MOLECULE: ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE E CHAIN;                             
    COMPND   3 CHAIN: A, B;                                                         
    COMPND   4 EC: 1.1.1.1                                                         
    SOURCE    MOL_ID: 1;                                                           
    SOURCE   2 ORGANISM_SCIENTIFIC: EQUUS CABALLUS;                                 
    SOURCE   3 ORGANISM_COMMON: DOMESTIC HORSE,EQUINE;                             
    SOURCE   4 ORGANISM_TAXID: 9796;                                               
    SOURCE   5 STRAIN: DOMESTIC HORSE;                                             
    SOURCE   6 ORGAN: LIVER;                                                       
    SOURCE   7 OTHER_DETAILS: LIVER                                                 
    KEYWDS    ALCOHOL DEHYDROGENASE, NAD+,TRIFLUOROETHANOL, MICHAELIS COMPLEX       
    KEYWDS   2 ROSSMANN FOLD, OXIDOREDUCTASE                                       
    EXPDTA    X-RAY DIFFRACTION                                                     
    AUTHOR    B.V.PLAPP,S.RAMASWAMY                                                 
    REVDAT   4   27-JUN-12 4DXH    1       JRNL                                     
    REVDAT   3   16-MAY-12 4DXH    1       JRNL                                     
    REVDAT   2   02-MAY-12 4DXH    1       TITLE                                   
    REVDAT   1   11-APR-12 4DXH    0     

What I want to do is GREP out the title, author, compound, realease date (HEADER), and the source. As you can see the SOURCE for example is on multiple lines, what I want to do is create a table listing the categories mentioned above to generate a table with columns telling me the information. I cannot figure out how to group all the SOURCE (and any other category with multiple lines) into one line....

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how to use GREP command to group lines
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
    Er... use awk.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos