Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed - installing new HD  (Read 6828 times)

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer: HP xw4400 that was given to me without a hard drive. I purchased a new 1 TB Western Digital SATA hard drive and installed it into the computer.

When I select the setup options, I can see the hard drive listed in the menu, but when I try to install Windows XP from my disk, I get the message that "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed". I searched this topic in this forum and read that the new HD must be formatted using a boot disk from a floppy drive. I don't have a floppy drive. Is there anything else I can do? I've never done this before, so I'm totally new to it.

truenorth

Guru

Are the SATA ports enabled in the BIOS? truenorth

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Truenorth, how can I tell if the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS?

Edit - Is that where it says Primary SATA controller > Enable? If so, it is enabled.
        « Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:51:30 AM by lseese »

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Allan, I read and understood the directions provided in the links you posted,  but I have been searching and reading for hours trying to figure out what SATA controller drivers to use. I apologize for not knowing what might be obvious to some, but where do I find the drivers? I found drivers specific to the xw 4400 here,  and some others here, but I have no idea what to look for or what to use. Am I looking at the right place? Are there certain search terms I should be using? The numbers on the motherboard say (copyright) 2006 HPDC PCB FAB REV 1.06.

truenorth

Guru

Yes that was what i was refering to.How many SATA ports do you have on the motherboard? You might want to try a different one if you have more than one.Ususally there are at least 2.In SATA the sequence order starts at "0" and "1" is actually #2 and soforth if there are more than 2. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            don't worry about whether the sata ports are enabled - 99.9% they are

Go here: http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/how-to-find-your-sata-drivers/

Salmon Trout

On the xw400 you can go in the BIOS and set the SATA controller to IDE emulation mode, and then the XP installer disk should see the hard drive. Just don't change it back after Windows is installed.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            On the xw400 you can go in the BIOS and set the SATA controller to IDE emulation mode, and then the XP installer disk should see the hard drive. Just don't change it back after Windows is installed.

Thanks ST - didn't know that.

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks! That did the trick. I noticed the different options, but weren't sure what they were for.