Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VCR to computer  (Read 2817 times)

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
    • Experience: Beginner
    VCR to computer
    « on: July 24, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
    I have some home movies on VCR tapes and want to know if I can connect the VCR to my laptop so I can download the movies to my laptop and burn a disc. I previously copied the VCR movies to DVD-RW discs but they won't play on my laptop due to a difference in format I was told by Best Buy techs.  Any ideas for me? Thx, Micromos  ::)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: VCR to computer
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
    I don't know whether I can help but answers to a couple of questions might help someone help you.

I previously copied the VCR movies to DVD-RW discs
    How?  Do you have a way of connecting your VCR to your computer for both audio and sound input to your computer?

they won't play on my laptop due to a difference in format I was told by Best Buy techs.
    What format did you use/have?  Did the Best Buy techs mention a specific format?

What software did you use to try to play them?

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »
      Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I copied the VCR tapes to a DVD-RW on the VCR-DVD combo machine I have.  Not on my computer.  The tech didn't say what format the DVD was recorded at.  It was whatever the combo machine copied it at.  I didn't really know back then to check a format.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
        Usually those copiers can have an option to transfer (record) in either PAL or NTSC formats (but not both as always available). Also quite often you can only alter between the two formats a limited number of times then it will stay on the last one and cannot be changed again. To do what you want to do will undoubtedly require some hardware and associated software to enable the transfer to your computer. Hauppauge (a U.S. Mfgr.) is a well established purveyor of that type of equipment. I am sure there are others. truenorth

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
        I bought one of those usb adapters that has video and stereo audio input to convert my old movies to MP4's. Video quality isnt the best, but VHS was never as sharp as modern videos anyways and magnetic VHS tapes that are 25+ years old like Police Academy are going to show their age when played with loss of colors etc.

To be legal you just need to retain the original VHS tapes... my wife wanted to throw them away to save space, but legally you have to still own them or it could be seen as illegal since someone could have picked the VHS tapes out of the dump in which your in violation for duplication. I am using video on fair use basis as I still have originals. If originals ever get tossed the MP4's would have to be deleted.