Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Subdomain system on server network  (Read 4464 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Subdomain system on server network
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »
Ok, so here i go

I will be running some dell rack mount servers very soon, and i would very much so like to take care of setting up the sub domains to them myself from another server in my network, if possible.

I have heard of the functionality for websites using a built in feature to apache, which i would also like to know more about, but my my main concern is the fact of how i can create sub domains to route to different computers on the same network.

Something like in this summary:

192.168.1.101 runs main website (of the default domain of domain.net)
192.168.1.102 runs sub domains to the rest of the servers
192.168.1.103 runs server, accessible publicly through domain.net, game server. (port 25565)
192.168.1.103 runs server, accessible publicly through 104.domain.net or so running a game server (port 25566)
192.168.1.104 runs server, accessible publicly through 105.domain.net or so running another game server  (port 25567)
192.168.1.105 runs server, accessible publicly through 106.domain.net or so running yet another game server (port 25568)

i would like the sub domains to re-direct to the address of the server with a port, so the user does not type in the port. however, have the same sub-domains on the website, as to have the web server have the map of
192.168.1.101 has sub domain 104.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/104/
192.168.1.101 has sub domain 105.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/105/
192.168.1.101 has sub domain 106.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/106/
192.168.1.101 has subdomain mc.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/mc/
192.168.1.101 has subdomain mchosting.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/mchosting/
192.168.1.101 has subdomain kat.domain.net direct to a website folder of /var/www/kat/

A setup like this would make me happy right now, but if anyone knows of a better way to make this, please do let me know, thanks.

ubuntu 11.10
apache/2.2.20 (ubuntu)
can install other packages if needed, thanks.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
Re: Subdomain system on server network
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
Good evening zeroburn

Are all the servers you have listed other than 192.168.1.101 box real servers or will some of them going to be virtual?

Mike   
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Re: Subdomain system on server network
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
These servers are all actual servers with Motherboard and whatnot. Although learning how to make the virtual servers work with a domain would not be a bad route as well, if you have links, i will read through the information

Right now, i am mainly concerned with the subdomains pointing to other real machines in the network
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.