Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lots of hardware failing  (Read 3364 times)

luc1d

Topic Starter

• Computers Suck
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Lots of hardware failing
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
So, my AC port, my keyboard, and my USB board all don't work.
Details and attempted fixes listed below.

Details:
My AC port doesn't charge my battery.  It will run my computer from the outlet in the wall, but the output pins in my battery slot measure very low voltage on a voltmeter (~0.3V).  I get the whole "plugged in, not charging" thing.

My c, d, e, 3, F1, F2, F3, and F4 keys all don't work on my keyboard.

All three of my USB ports measure no voltage on a voltmeter.

What I've Done (All to no avail):
-Updated all drivers
-The whole "turn off, remove battery, turn on, uninstall battery, turn off, plug in battery, turn on" sequence
-Replaced motherboard--still had exact problems listed above
-Tested RAM multiple times with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, memtest86+, and BurnInTest.  All tests checked out.  (However, I couldn't get into the advanced settings menu in Windows Memory Diagnostics or memtest because my F1 and F2 keys don't work.)

So, it's not my mobo, it's not my RAM.  I'm honestly at a loss.  Do I start replacing individual components now?  I just struggle to see how so many hardware components would all fail individually.
If nothing breaks, you didn't build it right.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
Re: Lots of hardware failing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
What lead up to this failure? Lightning strike etc? When was the last time it ran correctly and what happened between then and now? Did you make sure to connect the USB cable to the motherboard when swapping if the USB is not physically part of the motherboard? Seen some where smaller USB daughter boards are in there with a ribbon cable to the motherboard for USB.

-Replaced motherboard--still had exact problems listed above
First time in a long time of hearing someone swapping out a laptops motherboard. They can be lots of fun  ::) Generally I buy a donor laptop and place the better of the 2's guts into the one which doesn't require motherboard swapping such as when i took 2 Dell Latitudes and made 1 good one of the 2 like models, then placed the carcass of the one that became a donor into the closet in case I ever need a display etc.

From the sounds of it your laptop may be beyond economical repair.  A keyboard replacement might be a cheap start. I replaced my keyboard from a merchant on amazon for $12 and free shipping 2 months ago.

What make and model is it?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Good evening luc1d and welcome to CH

I do have a couple of questions what model of laptop?

If you replace the MoBo in the laptop and still have the same issues "no usb ports, not charging the battery etc.

1...The AC charger may be going bad. Not supplying enough voltage & charging battery.
2...The BIOS may need to be updated and by a new BIOS update can fix the charging issue etc.
3...Just like in the posts after market OEM keyboards can be found for 20-30 dollars in a lot of cases.
4...Updating the chipset drivers may fix the USB port issues
5...Check in the device manager to see if any devices have a yellow! or are greyed out.
6...Even knowing you replaced the MoBo the replacement may have DC jack and depending on laptop model the DC jack may not be soldered onto the MoBo and may be on a daughter board that plugs into the MoBo. 
7...Re-Installing the OS with updated driver may help some issues

The USB ports have 4 wires (a voltage+ and this is only 5v / a ground / a data+ / a data-) but this configuration holds true only from usb 1.0 to 2.0 for USB 3.0 they have 9 wires

Please let us know how you make out, Mike  ;D
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

gjmay12

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »
It almost sounds like a power jack issue with it not charging could have short in it but since you don't have some keys working, not sure. Try the simple things first remove your battery and leave out for 5 or 10 minutes reinstall and see what happens. It also could be a charge controller for the battery try a different charger made for your laptop and see if it makes any difference..............gjmay

luc1d

Topic Starter

• Computers Suck
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

I do have a couple of questions what model of laptop?

If you replace the MoBo in the laptop and still have the same issues "no usb ports, not charging the battery etc.

1...The AC charger may be going bad. Not supplying enough voltage & charging battery.
2...The BIOS may need to be updated and by a new BIOS update can fix the charging issue etc.
3...Just like in the posts after market OEM keyboards can be found for 20-30 dollars in a lot of cases.
4...Updating the chipset drivers may fix the USB port issues
5...Check in the device manager to see if any devices have a yellow! or are greyed out.
6...Even knowing you replaced the MoBo the replacement may have DC jack and depending on laptop model the DC jack may not be soldered onto the MoBo and may be on a daughter board that plugs into the MoBo. 
7...Re-Installing the OS with updated driver may help some issues

Please let us know how you make out, Mike  ;D

I have replaced both the battery and the power supply and I still have the same problem there..
Drivers are all up to date.
The DC jack on the new mobo is soldered onto the same place as the old one.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling the OS and updating BIOS though.

What lead up to this failure? Lightning strike etc? When was the last time it ran correctly and what happened between then and now? Did you make sure to connect the USB cable to the motherboard when swapping if the USB is not physically part of the motherboard? Seen some where smaller USB daughter boards are in there with a ribbon cable to the motherboard for USB.

What make and model is it?

I honestly don't remember what happened when the power jack failed.  That has been a problem for over a year.  The other two are new.  I don't know if any of them are related.
Yes, the USB ribbon cable is securely seated into the motherboard.

And it is a custom built laptop.  i.e. no make and model.  It's a PC Laptops custom built.  (PC Laptops is a local computer repair/custom build store in my state.)

Anyway, I'll try the OS and BIOS updates/reinstalls and try buying a new keyboard and let you all know how it works.  Thanks for the suggestions!
If nothing breaks, you didn't build it right.