Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2007 no matches found, indexing not running, cannot start windows search  (Read 17894 times)

mhk12112

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,

I was trying to troubleshoot Microsoft Outlook 2007, running on Windows 7. Initially, the problem was whenever i tried to search , this message appears:  "Outlook is currently indexing your items. Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed" and does not end.

So I used scanpst to repair the ost file (extension was .ost) but after that, the instant search returned no matches found even though i was search for an email that could be seen in the inbox.

I've checked the indexing options and it says "Indexing is not running", and the modify button is greyed out.

Windows search service is not running. I've tried to start it but got the error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

After that, i used sfc/scannow (system file checker tool) but got no error there.

Please advise!

Thanks!

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    good evening mhk12112 and welcome to CH

I have seen the same error but in this instance the person had office 2003 and then also installed office 2007 and from past experiences after a period of time that is when the error came into play.

If you have office 2003 and office 2007 installed just remove office 2003 and just use office 2007 and if you wondering what if some one send me a say word doc that was written in 2003. Don't worry office 2007 will read it with out a issue and the same is true for the rest of the office suite. 

If you look in your program list if you see (2) office suites (2003 office and office 2007) than they were installed as full versions and not upgrades.

The indexing service has an issue finishing the process because the way they are handled and having different file extensions   

Please let us know if this is the case and if office 2007 was a upgrade or full install.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

mhk12112

Topic Starter

Starter

Office 2007 was  a full install so i think it isnt the same case. I suspect that the root cause is that windows search service is not running. But the weird thing is i can still search for files and folders,

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      Welcome back

You also can do this

Windows search should be put into automatic (delayed start) in services. In windows features, Indexing service should be turned OFF. In Taskbar and Start Menu properties, under Start Menu tab, click "Customize...". Under "Search other files and libraries", select Search with (or without) public folders. Check the box that says, "Search programs and Control Panel". In Indexing Options, Select "Advanced", Take a look at where the index is located under "Index Location", and decide if you want to move it or not. Click "Rebuild".

If any of these steps do not work, restart the computer. If they do not work even after this, the problem lies elsewhere.

Please let us know if this helps, Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      Hi again

Last min thought

Have any new firewall UT or AV suites been installed.

But to answer the one question you asked about the "windows search" is different than the "outlook search"

Thanks,Mike

mhk12112

Topic Starter

Starter

I've tried those steps but nothing works. :(
        No new firewall UT or AV suites were installed

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        I am still working on this

But I am assuming you have been using outlook for sometime now. Have you done a scan with your AV suite and if so have you ever used malwarebytes it is a great free tool to help get rid of malware / virus etc. Here is the link just in-case you need / want it http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=malwarebytes&platformSelect=Windows&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows because even if your AV suite comes up clean you would be surprised what MWB finds. Just install it and doing the install they give you a choice for free 15 day trial just pick Free instead.  ;D

How long ago did this issue happen like around the same time of a windows update and also are you running SP2 on office? 

I am still checking I will be right back. Mike

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        Hi again

Come to think of it do you have "google desktop search" or "windows desktop search" I have had issues on PC with those 2 programs interfering with outlook and other window programs.

Thanks Mike   

mhk12112

Topic Starter

Starter

There doesn't seem to be any programs interfering with outlook and other window programs. I'm actually troubleshooting for someone else do i'm not sure what was done before this happened but it has been a problem for  quite  a while.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          Hi again

If this has been a problem for a while another option is to back up there PST's, Address book / contacts / signature's etc. Then re-install office.

With office 2007 if you use windows "uninstall feature" even with out backing up the pst's reboot the PC and re-install office the PST's in the profile will populate outlook automatically. (but to be safe I always back up the PST, contacts etc)

If the PST’s in outlook are to big they will run into functionality / speed issues like, searching, deleting, accessing the calendar etc.

To disable the add-ons

Goto Tools - Trust Center and click the Add-ins tab. There's a GO button at the bottom of the dialog screen, click that button and uncheck (disable or even remove) the Outlook add-ins (like GoogleDesktop, iTunes Add-in, Acrobat PDF Maker, Mindjet Mindmanager, etc) that you no longer use.

[Do not disable the Windows Search Indexing addin]

To run outlook in safe mode for testing

Start Outlook 2007 in Safe Mode

If none of the above tricks, try running Outlook 2007 in safe mode (start -> Run dialog and type outlook /safe). The second option is to disable all your email rules and filters. And if Norton antivirus or Zone Alarm is configured with Outlook, disable that association. One of these actions should identify the culprit that's making Outlook to crawl.

Hopefully this will help. Mike  ;D