Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reusing old wireless routers as network bridge/repeater. Having problems.  (Read 58840 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
well, after setting up the router, i am able to view the google page and see my facebook, in real time, not a cached page of the browser.

This always wears off, but seems to be staying in effect for now. I'll have to see how things go when i use this to provide internet to the servers.

In basig, yes, i believe the two routers are able to communicate, as i can chat on facebook from the computer used to set up the router. Wireless card is turned off on the computer i am using to configure.

I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
Good morning zeroburn and welcome back

I am happy that you got it too work what did you do? was it the wireless channel or ?

But from reading your post you don't sound to happy or convinced that you will be OK.

Thanks, Mike
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Well, i will be in need of unpluging the router and putting it into place with my servers.
EDIT: this part of this piece pf network hardware's installation makes me nervous

And i did just recently get back from a trip to montana, and now i am back to work.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
I am just about ready to call this working. The bride provides an internet connection with ping commands directed at google having the same latency in ms to return packet data as any other hard wired connection, although, when i get the opportunity to, this will be replaced by in-wall wiring.

I followed the directions using the (very helpful) suggestions of enabling n-g mixed wireless mode. i am not ready to mark solved, though, because i have yet to test if it works as a repeater also, as i have been led to believe it can. and seccondly, i do not have the machines that i intend to be on the other end of the bridge moved yet.

This idea was my solution to having all the humming servers and the external fan from affecting my workstation area, where i also do quite a bit of acoustic work.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Sorry to be doing so many post's in a row.

The bridge is still working great, however, when i try pinging google.com, it returns that the host name is bad, but if i use the IP for google, it works just fine.
Doing the same commands on any other computer not running behind the bridge, and it is just fine.

Code: [Select]
root@SERVER5:/# ping google.comping: unknown host google.com
root@SERVER5:/# ping 74.125.225.196PING 74.125.225.196 (74.125.225.196) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=4 ttl=55 time=2013 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=5 ttl=55 time=1006 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=6 ttl=55 time=16.0 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.225.196: icmp_req=8 ttl=55 time=19.0 ms
^C
--- 74.125.225.196 ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 4 received, 50% packet loss, time 7047ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.010/763.782/2013.930/826.966 ms, pipe 2
root@SERVER5:/#

i am guessing that this is an issue with my configuration, however, i have all settings relating to domain names and host's set to values that are appropriate. such as the local DNS server being the main router (192.168.1.1) and whatnot.

If anyone has a clue, let me know.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
On either side of the bridge, what do you get for
ipconfig /all