Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Networking PC  (Read 3233 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Wireless Networking PC
    « on: July 29, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
    Basically, just wondering if I can connect my Router to my Modem without haveing to run a CAT 5E.  Just wondered what had to be the same on the router so that it can see the modem an let my other wired machine connect too it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless Networking PC
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
    Welcome to CH.
    Are you now using DSL? What did you have before?

One provider puts it this way:
    Using the provided Ethernet cable, connect the modem ton the WAN of your wireless router. Both the modem and ant router must be off.  You rcomputer should be connected to one of the LAN ports of the router. Then computer also should be in the power off state.
    Next turn on the power in this order:
    1. Turn on the modem, wait 30 seconds.
    2. Turn of the router and wait 30 seconds.
    3. Last turn on your computer and let it do the normal start-up. This may take two minutes for some computers.
    Talking with the support people, this has to be done one time for the modem to 'learn' what kind of router your have.
    Have you asked your support people?

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
      I all ways had DSL but, I dont want to have to run a cable through the ceiling.   :-\

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
      I all ways had DSL but, I dont want to have to run a cable through the ceiling.   :-\
      Then, put your router in the same room as your router (it's wireless, I presume) and connect it to your modem via cable.   For a computer in another room that does not have built-in wireless capability, get a wireless PCI card or USB wireless dongle so that you can connect that  computer to the Internet via your wireless router.