Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Poweredge 1750's installing Ubuntu Server problems?  (Read 5706 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Dell Poweredge 1750's installing Ubuntu Server problems?
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
ok. So i have three Dell Poweredge 1750 servers, and am attempting to make use of them and install linux based servers on all of them. Most preferably ubuntu.

I tried just plugging the cd in, and booting like any old computer, my ISO freezes at the ubuntu splash screen, or i should describe it as the screen with the options for the "Install Ubuntu Server", "rescue a broken system" ext.

So i go to the dell website and look around. I see that they have the Server Management ISO for my server. I download it, and it boots, so i know it is nothing wrong with the computer, due to the reason that it boots to a LIVE cd environment just fine. So i go back to the dell site, and see that ubuntu is not compatible with the "Server Management" disks they have, but it seems the only way to install.

Does anyone know how to get around this, or if i am missing the right ISO from dell so i can continue with the ubuntu install.

Thanks, This is probably a rookie question, as i am new to the world of dedicated rackmount servers.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Re: Dell Poweredge 1750's installing Ubuntu Server problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
well, the Server Management disks to not allow me to boot to the ubuntu linux that i know and love, it is only allowing me to use the Fedora Enterprise servers, the SuSE servers, or Microsoft, and if i attempt to place a disk with Ubuntu on it, the Server Management refuses it. I guess this is kinda confusing. But to be honest, i am a bit confused as well.

Failed OS's so far: Ubuntu Server 12.4, Ubuntu Server 11.10, Ubuntu Server 10.4, CentOS, OpenSUSE, ext ext

The only thing that might work is the Server Management thing. I just want to know how to boot to regular disks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:10:46 PM by zeroburn »
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
Re: Dell Poweredge 1750's installing Ubuntu Server problems?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
Problem solved. For some reason, using a USB keyboard causes this. Alright. alright. The simplest things.