Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LED Lights  (Read 3824 times)

marine_brolly

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Familiar
    LED Lights
    « on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
    hey guys, i just had a very basic question and was wondering if anybody knew or not.
    Basically i was wondering if the LED light combinations vary from computer to computer or network to network.  i am using a lenovo thinkpad t400 on the ibm network, xp is my os, and i know i am connected just fine, and was just wondering if say someone was using a different laptop on a different network assuming they were connected to the network fine would have the same combinations. i was speaking to someone that had a flashing green light with a solid orange light on a hp desktop who couldn't get into her network, i saw that a flashing green light has to do with the cpu sending or receiving a signal, error message she was receiving was just a very generic "invalid username and password and could not figure out if it was her nic or not. i've tried to be detailed as possible, if someone needs more info let me know, and any input would be appreciated. thanx

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: LED Lights
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
    Best thing to do would be to visit the manuf. site and see what the different color lites indicate...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
    Is this a home or work network? Desktop led light indicators are usually for LAN ethernet ports only. However the invalid username and password is not a complete information whether its a passkey to access a server or network or a website login requisite.

marine_brolly

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
      its a work network

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »
      Good morning marine_brolly and welcome back

On laptops if one light is green and one is orange that just means the green is power to the jack and orange would be a communication light. But the colors can and do vary from company to company and model of PC does not always hold true about "green lights" sometimes means a good connection.

On some laptop PC's both lights can be green or orange and some older laptops "integrated" NIC's do NOT have any lights.

If you are are a work network (in a domain) and your friend is on her work network (domain) that she would need a username and password in-order to join your network. If both of your work PC's are considered "workgroup" network in most cases she would not need to input a user name and password.   

Hope this answers your question, Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
      That being said: :

Best thing to do would be to visit the manuf. site and see what the different color lites indicate...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

marine_brolly

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
        thanks for the input, i just wasn't sure and thought it would be useful for my job

Darwin Faries

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:44 PM »
           However the invalid username and password is not a complete information whether its a passkey to access a server or network or a website login requisite.