Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 'Left over' files from EASEUS  (Read 5394 times)

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    'Left over' files from EASEUS
    « on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »
    Before   I started using a 'new' (second hand, inherited) computer, I decided to   make a copy of the hard disk.  I used EASEUS disk copy v2.3.1 on this   PC to burn the program to a CD, using the built-in (comes with the exe   file) making a bootable CD.  Then I booted from that CD and made  a   sector level copy of the HD, which seemed to work ok.

I am left   with a shortcut on my desktop to the easeus website (easily removed),   and, searching for easeus on my original HD, I found 2 other files:
    EASEUS Backup Tool  Last modified 8/1/2012   176 bytes C\Users\...\Desktop
    EASEUS Backup Tool  Last modified 3/23/2011 111 bytes C\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp
    EASEUSLD.LDR          Last modified 1/19/2011 190 KB     C\Users\...\Desktop

Presumably   I can delete these in the normal way, but how do I find out what other   unwanted stuff has been left on my HD ?  Can I delete these files in the   normal way, or was some kind of installation process done integrating   parts of EASEUS software inextricably into my PC ?
    Does anyone know ?

Dumb_Question
    2.August.2012
    HP Pavilion dm4 1050ea - Windows 7
    « Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:26:33 AM by Allan »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: 'Left over' files from EASEUS
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
    When you delete shortcut icons from your desktop that's all you are deleting - the icons. They are shortcuts to the files that are elsewhere on your disc.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
      When you elected to uninstall Easeus from your computer how did you do it? Your answer could have a large bearing on what the answer to your posted question will be.(beyond the desktop icons) truenorth

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
        When you elected to uninstall Easeus from your computer how did you do it? Your answer could have a large bearing on what the answer to your posted question will be.(beyond the desktop icons) truenorth

I never installed EASEUS (went through an obvious install process), it does not ask you to install it.  So I never uninstalled it.

I've still got the CD (see below). I downloaded a .zip file, this unzipped to an .exe file to my USB flash/pen drive. I ran the .exe file from the USB pen drive to create the boot disk (CD), a bootable CD also containing the EASEUS siskcopy program.

I turned my PC off and booted up from the CD having switched the boot order to CD first (there was an option in the .exe to reboot straight from that from that program, which would probably have made that step unnecessary, but I wasn't ready).  After rebooting from the CD] (power up in my case) then you're straight into EASEUS diskcopy, and selecting source, destination, copy method (eg sector by sector). I then copied for 6 hrs without any errors surprisingly, when I finished (I don't remember the details, but) I think the options were to boot from HD, copy more, or power down. I chose the latest, removed the CD, powered up, reset the boot order, and carried on as normal.  The next day I noticed the link to EASEUS (website to upgrade) as shortcut on my desktop (I don't know exactly when [at what stage in the process] this link on my desktop appeared), then I searched for 'EASEUS' and found those three, and wondered what else it had left behind to clog up my new(ish) system.

You will notice that two of the files I found are in a directory named Temp, but when does Windows clear the Temp directories ? It isn't when you delete eveything from Internet Options > Delete. At no time during the whole process was I connected to the internet except downloadig the zip file.

That method of running it makes it OS independent apparently.

Dumb_Question
        2.August.2012

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
        Windows does not clear the temp folder, you do. Some files will disappear on a reboot, most will not.

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
          Windows does not clear the temp folder, you do. Some files will disappear on a reboot, most will not.

Thanks Allan.  That's news to me.  So it's safe to delete from the system created Temp files ?   On my other PC (XP Presario S5160UK) I've got loads of them.

Dumb_Question
          2.August.2012

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
          Yes, you can delete any and all files in the temp folders. The only caveat is that if you've installed new software you should first reboot (some installers place files in the temp folder and complete installation on the next boot).