Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: partitioning harddrive w/ os?  (Read 3359 times)

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

partitioning harddrive w/ os?
    « on: August 06, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
    my computer is running slower than all heck. I ran ccleaner, spybot, MBAM, defragged, and everything was fine as far as those programs were concerned. I believe the problem lies within the fact that my OS is on a 75gb hd, which has all my documents/pictures on it (both totalling ~40gb). im moving those folders to a different drive right now, but in the interest of preventing this in the future/helping things along, is it possible to create a partition NOW and isolate my os on the 75gb hd, or should i just leave it?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: partitioning harddrive w/ os?
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
    Just leave it, the size of the Windows partition has nothing to do with the speed or the "slowdown".

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
    It's not going to help anything if that's what you're asking. I'm a fan of partitioning, but in your case there's no reason to do so because of your problem. Also, if you have 35Gb free that's not your problem either.

When you say the system is slow, EXACTLY what is slow? Please explain your problem in detail. Also, do you have an AV installed? If so, have you run a full scan with it?

Last, ccleaner does absolutely nothing that improves performance of your pc. For that matter, neither does spybot - it's old school and if I were you I'd install it. The current best of breed anti spyware apps are MBAM and Super AntiSpyware.

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
      oh right sorry i have SAS too haha ill run that and see. Its just slow in general. Usually it can handle photoshop quite flawlessly, and that has been slow, windows explorer has been slow, itunes has been slow, it just seems to be everything.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »
      Neither SAS nor MBAM are full fledged anti virus apps. Do you have an AV installed and resident?

Again, please define "slow"

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
        what do you mean resident? i havnt been using anything else but those for AV.
        Slow meaning laggy. photoshop hangs during general operation. it takes forever to do anything on it. Itunes takes forever to open/close/it just hangs too when i switch songs. If i wanted to say open control panel or w.e windows goes blank/clouded where its processing what to do. It literally is just taking forever to get anything done. not trying to be a smartass here, but im not sure how else to define slow?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
        If you don't have an anti virus app installed my first guess is that your system is infected. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
        http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
          ive been using avast?

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
            ill try the removal thread in the meantime.
            Quick question though, should i be scanning all my drives?
            my OS is on a 75gb hd
            my programs/pictures/documents are on a 250gb hd
            my music/movies/pictures&documents BACKUPs/program backups are on a 3tb hd.
            Ive had problems in the past with the removal thread in the way of these scans usually take DAYS on my computer, and i usually end up exhausting fellow user's efforts/different programs- i have since made a separate folder on my 3tb hd simply for all this mass of programs i have tried. Typically i end up just wiping my system and restoring my important stuff from the 3tb hd.