Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 x64 not responding randomly  (Read 4835 times)

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
Windows 7 x64 not responding randomly
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
  So I have this problem with computer freezing randomly and recently a lot of programs started not responding once every5-10minutes, thought maybe I had a driver issue so I re-installed my windows and drivers COMPLETELY... Didn't help at all...
  I have an Asus x52JE laptop and I installed drivers from the manufacturer site as well as windows update - didn't help as well...
  It is utterly irritating when I try to watch youtube videos or play games that ran quite well, only a few days ago I started having these problems which make usage of this laptop completely unbearable...
  I had issues with freezing since I bought this computer but they were bearable and now I spend 30minutes watching a 10 minute video or playing a game for 15 minutes... how do I fix this ? I'm tempted to give this computer for warranty service but I'm scared they'll find a way to put this problem on me and charge me for service...
I3 2.40ghz 4gb ram Ati Mobility Radeon hd5470 512mb

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 7 x64 not responding randomly
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »
Good evening kebubas and welcome

Lets see what we can do for you.

#1... From what you are trying to describe the PC has been an issue from Day 1 correct? if so how long does it take to boot like 3+ min to boot?
#2... Are you or have you gotten any error messages / boxes that have come up?
#3... You are only running 1 "Active AV" (active anti virus suite) fort instance you dont have Norton AV and like McAfee running at the same time?
#4... What kind of ISP do you have. Like "Cable or DSL, Sat, Dial up etc.
#5... The movies or games that you are playing are they on or from your computer (using CD/DVD etc) or are you trying to watch / play them on-line?
#6... How much memory do you have in the PC? (1 gig or 3 gig's etc)

Most people that I know usually have good luck with Asus product's. Am I safe to assume that the PC has the factory OS Windows 7 and if so is it 32 or 64 bit?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
#1... it takes less than 2 minutes
#2... not really, except some after installing games and such - but those are understandable
#3... only one - AVG Free
#4... cable to my router and then wirelessly to my laptop
#5... both
#6... bought it with 3gigs originally but a few months back (2 or 3, maybe even less) I upgraded to 4 gigs (checked compatibility of my laptop model on the internet)

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:58 AM »
God morning kebubas and welcome back to CH

Thank you so much for supplying the info

It is possible the codecs on the PC are getting corrupt. When the codecs get corrupt then you get issues you are talking about. But this issue is just normally for movies  / clips / you tube videos etc not so much in games if you wish to update the codecs http://www.mediacodec.org/download/ I have been using them for years and never had a issue.
      Now if some of the games are from older OS (operating systems) like XP / windows 98 etc there may be a patch / update for them or they will have to be run in compatibility mode or are no longer compatible in W7. If you can give me an example of a game the you play on the PC that is having the issue? (i.e serious sam / wow / halo etc)

I would do the codec pack first and if the youtube videos / movies are better. If they are then continue down the list

#1... The drivers that you installed were they all from Asus or did you use the windows ones? (this is just a question)

#2... What browser are you using for youtube etc. IE 8 or 9 or Firefox 14, Chrome # ? etc there may be a add-on contributing to your issues (this is just a question)     

#3... For the AVG (free or paid version) I am assuming that you removed the old AV thru windows "uninstall programs" (i.e like Norton etc) but what was your old AV ?. The only reason I am asking is sometimes the old AV may not remove it self all the way so companies like Norton etc make a separate remove UT that you may want to try. Please let us know what AV you had and we can supply a link for it.

#4... I am assuming that scans on the PC (with your AV) have come up clean minus like cookies and such?

Sorry I am not trying to throw to much at you. Hope to hear from you soon. Mike 
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »
Hi, thanks for your answer - attacking me with questions is good because it makes it more clear what I should say (I'm not as good at explaining as I'm good at answering questions) they give direction :)

#1... first I did the windows update and when I saw that some of the drivers were missing (graph card drivers, touch-pad etc) I used ASUS site...
#2... I normally used latest Chrome, now I use the latest Firefox - it did help me a lil bit but I still get not respond from time to time (and videos with pop-up ads are almost certain to crash my flash player o put all my programs into not responding state...     

#3... I've always used AVG on this computer and when I confronted a bug (usually the AVG ui went completely bonkers) I downloaded the latest installer, removed AVG through it and then reinstalled AVG through it...

#4... it always came clean

Awaiting your answer, TJA :)

=EDIT=
game examples: Skyrim, Red Faction Guerrilla (mostly freezes during cutscenes, Mass Effect (all three froze on cutscenes mostly as well, though 2nd froze on starting menu 99% of the time, I had to alt-tab it while it was loading and then alt-tab back when I thought the menu is already loaded - worked every time). Haven't played too many other games... APB reloaded worked fine (lagged ofc because of a weak machine), Blacklight Retribution worked just dandy on low settings, WOW NEVER EVER had an issue, SilkroadR worked fine, GTA 4 lagged but was playable AND never crashed, Oblivion crashed pretty often on loading screens etc but that's probably due to heavy mod list...

Also I just tried to check my GMail - it threw me into not respond again although it was the only tab opened...

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post[/b/].

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

TadasJA

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
i already gave my computer to warranty service (now whole week without computer yaaaay* sarcasm*) today was the only day free enough to do it...