Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help connecting hdd to pc  (Read 3450 times)

flyhigh@night

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    help connecting hdd to pc
    « on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
    Hi, all.
    I'm attempting to connect a hdd that was intially an internal drive (came with pc) to a working pc to view it's contents. First I need to know, if this is really even possible. Second is there a cable I can use to connect it to something without taking anything apart (like a flashdrive connecting).
    I woud assume I need some information about the hdd to know the correct cable to use.
    manufacturer: toshiba
    Model number, etc. are unknown. I cannot tell what numbers are suffciencant on the hdd, too many. Toshiba also does not have a directory on their site for products/models.

thanks to anyone who provides any feedback

gettingthere

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: help connecting hdd to pc
      « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:43:50 PM »
      yes this is possible and it is relatively easy get your working computer and take the side cover off, usually one or two screws in the back to remove, slide the cover off and you will see the power supply and the motherboard and various wires going to different things. First you need to make sure the HDD you want to check has the same kind of connector that is being used on the HDD that is in the computer you using,SATA or IDE you will be able to see the difference if they are different you might get lucky and there will be one already in there not being used, if not you will need an adapter to make them compatible make sure all power is disconnected from the computer and let it sit for several minutes to let the caps dissipate then hook your HDD you want to look at and power up everything as you normally would and see if it will power up, let us know what happens..................gettingthere

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »
      I woud assume I need some information about the hdd to know the correct cable to use.
      Is it a Toshiba desktop or laptop? What kind of hard drive, is it SATA or IDE? If its a desktop hard drive, you would need an IDE/SATA to USB adaptor. If its a laptop HD, you would need the 2.5/3.5 hard drive enclosure to USB 2.0.

flyhigh@night

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
        Well I finally found some information.

hard drive type: ATA
        orgin pc: Toshiba Satellite A505 (so laptop)

The pc I am trying to connect it to is a laptop.
        If its a laptop HD, you would need the 2.5/3.5 hard drive enclosure to USB 2.0.
        By enclosure, are you referring to some external device such as a cable I can simply attach to the USB port of my laptop... mount the drive and view?

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
        Well I finally found some information.

hard drive type: ATA
        orgin pc: Toshiba Satellite A505 (so laptop)

The pc I am trying to connect it to is a laptop. By enclosure, are you referring to some external device such as a cable I can simply attach to the USB port of my laptop... mount the drive and view?

Yes, it's an external box. Pop the drive in it, plug it in to the USB. Should be recognized automatically in most cases.

flyhigh@night

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
          That about does it for now at least. If anyone knows a cheap place to buy this product from let me know.
          Thanks

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
          That about does it for now at least. If anyone knows a cheap place to buy this product from let me know.
          Thanks

Most any computer store will likely carry them. Check your local phone book and make some calls or do some searching online.