Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing harddrives  (Read 2973 times)

bill.jr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Changing harddrives
    « on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »
    Hello
    I have just joined, so I am hoping that you experts can give me some expert advice, I have a computer that was given to me and what I would like to do is set it up along side win 7 computer and run win xp on because I have just had a work out and found that I have aprox £600 of software etc that does not work on win 7, now my problem is when I set this old computer up it says's that there were x missing but what I hope to do is set it up with my old hard drive but it came up about master drive, slave drive, so could some one tell me the best way to do it as my old drive has got all my xp software and drivers on it.
    Thank you in advance for any help
    bill. jr

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Changing harddrives
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »
    I'm sorry, but I find your post virtually unintelligible. You want to make it as easy for us to understand you as possible so we can help - punctuation would make your post easier to read. Also, you say "it says there were x missing" - what does that mean?

Please, take a moment and explain in detail what the problem is. Thanks.
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:13:50 AM by Allan »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
    You can't simply "swap" an XP HDD from one PC to another...it won't work...

You would need to install XP to the 2nd HDD and then re-install all your programs...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sarcasticphoenix

Rookie
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:18:14 AM »
      Hello
      I have just joined, so I am hoping that you experts can give me some expert advice, I have a computer that was given to me and what I would like to do is set it up along side win 7 computer and run win xp on because I have just had a work out and found that I have aprox £600 of software etc that does not work on win 7, now my problem is when I set this old computer up it says's that there were x missing but what I hope to do is set it up with my old hard drive but it came up about master drive, slave drive, so could some one tell me the best way to do it as my old drive has got all my xp software and drivers on it.
      Thank you in advance for any help
      bill. jr

I am thinking this is what you meant... I don't know though.

Hello.
      I have just joined, so I am hoping that yall experts can give me some expert advice. I have a computer that was given to me, and what I would like to do is set it up along side my other Windows 7 computer, and run Windows XP on it, which is stored on another hard drive.
      This is because I have just done some research and found that I have approximately £600 of software and such on the XP drive does not work on Windows 7. Now my problem is when I turn this old computer on with the XP drive inserted, it says that there is x missing. What I hope to do is set it up with my old hard drive. However, it came up as instead of the Primary OS drive a secondary drive. Could some one tell me the best way to use the old drive as the main OS drive? The old drive has got all my Windows XP softwares and drivers on it.
      Thank you in advance for any help.
      Bill, Jr.

I guess I did a mostly decent translation.

Well, I will take my time to answer this.
      The old drive that you had, with the Windows XP programs, also contains the drivers from the original computer where it was originally used.
      If the new "old laptop from your friend" you received has different drivers than the ones already on the drive, you will need to erase the drivers and reinstall them from a different computer, or from the new laptop itself. Drivers will be obtained from install disks or from the internet.
      Also, what is the X missing?
      What setup are you using for the drives? Perhaps are they SATA setup?
      To boot from the XP drive, you need to mark the other drive as unbootable and mark the XP drive as bootable. You will also need to edit BIOS to automatically boot from the XP drive, as well as possibly disabling the other drive or removing it from the boot order. Some BIOSs support that.
      Also, if you want to transfer Windows XP to a new hard drive, you could use a program such as CloneZilla or such to clone the XP disk entirely.
      -------------------------
      This is my signature!