Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd burning by dragging  (Read 3052 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Cd burning by dragging
    « on: August 12, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »
    I have been using the following method for some  time  for burning pictures from my computer (transferred to computer from my digital camera) onto a cd but today it would not work and I would very much like to have advice about where I am going wrong -- PLEASE!

The method:-   1. Insert blank cd in tower  (cd-R not a cd- RW)
                             2.START > MY COMPUTER
                             3.START > MY PICTURES

This is the point where I get stuck as in order to go to MY PICTURES I have to close the window opened at (2) above.

Usually the window headed MY PICTURES pops up obscuring the window headed MY COMPUTER showing the wording MY COMPUTER in faint type.

This is not happening now.  Why?

Usually, I would be able to drag down the window headed MY PICTURES to reveal the icons on the window headed MY COMPUTER.

I would then drag all the pictures to the CD icon and then get a window headed CD DRIVE (E) and sub-headed "Files Ready To Be Written To The CD"

The next step would be to right-click on the icon marked CD DRIVE (E) to reach a dropdown menu where you chose the wording "Write these Files to the CD" to get a window headed CD WRITING WIZARD.

From there the rest was easy.

How have I messed up the whole thing?

MANY THANKS AS ALWAYS.

GUZEPPI (the 74-yr-old civil service pensioner)

GUZEPPI

TechnoGeek

Re: Cd burning by dragging
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »
    Guzeppi,

Try these steps:

1. insert blank cd
    2. start -> my pictures (skip my computer for now)
    3. find the pictures you want, and select them like you would to drag, but instead:
    4. on the left hand side, click burn these pictures to cd (it may be under a 'picture tasks' menu)
    5. if asked, select the cd drive (e) from a list, and click ok, yes, etc. if necessary
    6. start -> my computer
    7. right click the cd drive and 'write these files to a CD' like you did before, and finish the process.

These might not work perfectly and I may have forgotten a step; I haven't used XP for a while. but these should be very close to working.

As to why you are having the problem, sometimes window sizes and locations of my computer, my pictures, etc., get messed up or changed in weird ways.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
    Good evening Guzeppi and welcome back to CH

Besides the steps that TechnoGeek gave you here is a Video that MS made http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Demo-Burn-a-CD-or-DVD just click on the "Watch the demo" link. The OS may look different in this Video because it was done with Vista and not XP. I believe your OS was XP but the steps will almost identical for you.   

This may help you as well, good luck.

Don't worry once you do it a couple of times it just like riding a bike  ;D
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
    Might as well add, use the autoplay and prompt action when inserting a blank disc. http://www.ehow.com/how_8272417_enable-autorun-blank-cd-xp.html