Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not displaying anything on monitor  (Read 5919 times)

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Computer not displaying anything on monitor
    « on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
    I have 2 computers that i haven't used in like 3 years i left them in Puerto Rico while i went to go live in NY they worked perfectly fine before i packed them up and put them away in their original boxes. Now after 3 years I'm back in PR for vacation and been trying to turn both of them on, they both turn on all the lights come on fans etc... everything but monitor doesn't turn on with either one.  I tested the monitor with the laptop and it work's fine turns on completely and displays my windows in it.

On both computers video cards turn on all fans the HDD turns on the power supply. i used different cables and no luck i even used a new HDD that i brough from NY from my working gaming PC.  Any help will be greatly appreciated Ty.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer not displaying anything on monitor
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
    Good afternoon merlok and welcome back to CH

Here are a couple of things to check

#1... If the PC's are desktops and there is on-board (VGA / DVI) port but did the monitors get plugged into the add-on Video card instead of the onboard?
    #2... In the PC did you try to re-seat the Video card, memory sticks and all power plugs.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you make out. Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
      Ty for the fast responce,

1. yes they are both desktops and they have on board and external video cards both computers, i did try on both and nothing :-(
      2. i completely took apart the computers and rearmed them again except the CPU

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
        After 3 years of non use and undoubtedly not plugged in to power outlet during that time. The CMOS batteries would likely have discharged. Try replacing them. Now as to whether this by itself could be causing your issue i don't know but i would start there.truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
        Puerto Rico is a tropical (hot & humid) location and in such places electronics can deteriorate in use and more so in storage. Fungus, bugs, mold, mildew etc. In particular certain types of capacitor can leak.

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
          ill try these 2 suggestions today and see what i come up with and write back later or tomorrow ty very much

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
            We shall be keeping our fingers crossed. Something that may help for the future re the tropical conditions.Take your computer or whatever is not going to be used fro a long period and put them in a plastic bag with breathable bags or open containers of silica gel. It is a fantastic moisture absorbing mater4ial. It can be obtained from many sources florists usually stock it. It is a clear small crystal. Usually not expensive.truenorth

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »
              hey guys OK this is what Ive done so far.
              1. tried a new power supply - still nothing
              2. change the battery - still nothing :-(

could it be the memory ? as everything powers but still nothing on display

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
              Good morning merlok and welcome back

Are you getting / hearing any beeps? (i.e like 3 short beeps etc)

You put in a new PS (power supply) did the 20/24 pin connecter plugged firmly in to the MoBo
              Did the 4/6 pin connecter get plugged into the MoBo this plug is around the CPU (most PS wires are 2 yellow and 2 black)
              If the Add-On video card needs power did the plug come loose? this plug is normally on the end of the card
              You may have a bad video card

Please let us know how you make out, Mike   

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
                Given your awareness for the negative aspects of tropical conditions on electronic  equipment i would imagine that in so far as you can you have examined the MOBO for anomalies that might be visible. Before you buy things i would try removing and using a soft cloth gently clean the contacts on 1st the RAM modules and then the video card. If your computers have more than one RAM module in them put them back in one at a time (trying different slots). Let us know how that works.truenorth

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
                Was it a new PSU ? ?...or used ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
                  Sorry guys for late reply i am still on vacations :-) been also sick which kinda sucks.  Anyways the PSU that i tried was new i will now start trying to connect 1 ram at a time lets hope brb :-)

thomaspreston

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »

I will suggest check the temperature of your CPU.There are a number of programs you can use, with Motherboard Monitor making its rounds on the recommendation lists, but I just downloaded is http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html. It's primary function is identifying all of the components of your computer and checking their status, but under sensors it can also report CPU, HD, and case temps as well as fan speeds.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:06:37 AM by thomaspreston »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:35 AM »
                      I'M sure (thomaspreston) that you do realize that for any of your suggested test results to provide any possibility of assistance as a minimum they MUST be able to be viewed.Given the o/p's account of the state of the 2 computers i wonder how you envisage that happening? truenorth