Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC No Boot - No Display on Monitor  (Read 3905 times)

FaultyPC

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    PC No Boot - No Display on Monitor
    « on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »
    Hi,  I'm hoping you guys can help me clarify the issue my PC is having.

Graphics card packed in recently, went with quite a pop yesterday. 

Picked up a new card to replace it and I'm not getting any display on the PC when it boots up, I was also not getting any POST Beeps. 

Details of PC I have:

Motherboard: ASRock x fire-e
    2 Gig DDR2 Ram (1 Stick is new)
    SATA Drives
    Graphics Card: ASUS HD 5450 Silent (512MB)
    BT Wireless LAN Card

(Yeah, it's an old PC, but in this climate needs must...)

Once I disconnected everything I'm getting beeps again, it sounds like 2 followed by 9.  Total of 11.  Am I right that is a Bad Motherboard Cache, which means it's time for a new motherboard (something I'm hoping to avoid).

Only things that have changed are the Graphics Card and the extra stick of RAM.

Also, if I do need to go to a new MB, any recommendations for something compatible to what I have there already?  It needs to be as cheap as possible - PC is only for browsing, writing and flash games at most.

Much appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC No Boot - No Display on Monitor
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »
    What AMD CPU are you using?  x-fire is only suggestion that your AMD and not SLI - Intel

FaultyPC

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
      It's AMD, but beyond that I can't be more specific as I can't remember and without the monitor display I can't really get any more info at this time.  :)

If I have to get a new chip at the same time as the MB, I'm fine with one that has a built in CPU, I don't need computing power for what I use it for. :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
        FaultyPC, Welcome to the CH forums. I am sure it is becoming apparent to you that nibble by nibble you are expending monetary resources as you try to deal with your current computer's issues.The items you have thus far replaced have not solved your issue. You are now contemplating more expenditures with no assurance that they will improve the situation either.To the extent that you can i would suggest returning what you already have purchased for a refund and not buy anymore pieces. If you were to total up where you could be going it would either be close or exceed what which with a moderate search you could purchase a whole working computer for. In that regard in reference to your stated needs of a computer and no desire to actually upgrade to something more current you should easily be able to find either a used unit or a refurbished one. There are many avenues of purchase options available to you only limited by your geography. My caution would be that whatever your source you ensure some warranty that at least the replacement will function properly.Just to whet your appetite i have purchased many computers this way and never been disappointed. Probably the best instance was a Dell XPS (new around $5,000.00) for $3,00 with all software and manuals plus keyboard and mouse. Not to say you will be as lucky but take some time and effort and you can do well.truenorth

FaultyPC

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »
          truenorth, thank you.  It is an option to switch to a new PC, however I built this one myself in 2008 and I don't really desire to switch.  In addition any other PC I pick up I would want to transfer into the case I currently have and switch the Hard Drives across (or at least salvage the data from them).  So at best that is a back up plan here.

smithrick

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
            Eliminate your cable and keep the ON option for like Thirty a few moments to a instant and then hook up it back and turn it on

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
            Please feel free to ignore the above post.