Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maintaining laptop performance for games on battery power  (Read 2814 times)

QuasiKomodo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Maintaining laptop performance for games on battery power
    « on: August 18, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
    Hello,

I've been shopping for a laptop that meets the GD adjusted requirements for Guild Wars 2 (listed here: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=684&game=Guild%20Wars%202) and can play the game with respectable settings on battery power. I know the cpu/gpu performance on most laptops tends to drop dramatically on battery power, so I was wondering if plugging in to an external charger like the one listed here:http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-33600mAh-Portable-External-Notebooks/dp/B005IU34FU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1345319593&sr=8-5&keywords=external+laptop+charger might help. Alternatively, I'm aware that there are some laptops out there that are designed specifically with maintaining performance on battery power in mind, like the Alienware Mx11, or there may even be a software solution to the problem. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions.

Thanks!

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Maintaining laptop performance for games on battery power
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
    Good evening QuasiKomodo and welcome to CH

Nice choice on the laptop looks great.  The bad part is for heavy gaming and battery life is almost a oxymoron. When a PC is heavily used the battery takes a beating. My recommendation's would be buy.

#1...Buy as much memory as you can afford
    #2...fastest CPU
    #3...fastest GPU
    #4...get the biggest battery possible
    #5...also get a SSD hard drive (solid state drive)

The reason for the above is the easier a PC runs an app / game the better it will be on a battery if that makes since and also shut off lighted keyboards and only have the necessary programs running in the back ground.

Last I knew Alienware did have a battery optimizer that used to come with the laptops and there may be a 3rd party tools but none that I trust. There may some other folks on CH that may have one that they would say works.

Hope this helps,Mike     
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?